/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammer
Posted By: AntarcticoDate: 8/2/13 8:44 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammer (treellama)

: I remember hearing many complaints when Halo came out, a full two years
: after the Xbox version, about how poorly it ran on the PCs of the day--PCs
: much more powerful than the Xbox. I didn't play it until years later, and
: OK they did a super job as long as you can throw four 3 GHz cores and an
: 8800GTS at it :-p

The original complaint about performanc when Halo for the PC came out in 2003 were entierly justified, but today, I think my phone could run probably run Halo well. My first PC for playing Halo was had a Pentium III server chip in it, 1GB of ram, with an ATI Radeon 9250 PCI video card, and the game ran fine at 1024x768 for the solo campaign. I am sure your current rig blows this away, as does mine (quad core AMD Phenom, ATI 4870 card, and 4GB of ram). I have so much headroom fps-wise, even at 1600x1200, I have the game vsync-ed at 85hz. Ten years after it was released, Halo on the PC runs as slick as spit.

: Well, I probably owe it another play through. If I don't rage quit at The
: Library, the most terrible level in any FPS I've played. Or Two Betrayals,
: a level so unmemorable they decided to send you through it twice, the
: second time without shields. It doesn't help that I hate zombies!

My initial impression of The Library was, what moar!, but I have come to really enjoy it. There is something almost beatific in its repetition, not unlike how some electronic and trance music will repeat a phrase over and over again, causing a kind of a pleasant zoning out in some part of the listeners brain. I actually kind of get locked into such a groove playing The Library that I am always surprised when I reach the end because I have lost track of time. The Library, like a trance track, pretty much demands you experience it with an open mind and take it at its own pace, if you want to have any hope of enjoying it.

The other way to look at The Library is that it is a ball-crushing gauntlet that will not stop pounding you until your puny human frame is wracked with sobs, and your sad cries for mommy reach all the way to space, this works too. ;D

Sure The Library is cut and past map making, but then so were all the Marathon Infinity maps derived from Aye Mak Sicur . :)

Regarding Two Betrayals, first off, I really don't mind retracing my steps in a game as long as there is something new to do there, or I am challenged in a different way. Two Betrayals can be pure chaos if you are on Legendary and play aggressively, shit's blowing up, glass panels are shattering and the bits are flying around everywhere, flood infected Elites are leaping at you, cute little infection forms are warbling and clustering at your feet. Boom, boom, boom -- I am way too busy to be annoyed with having to pass through the same areas again. :)

: Any tips? I remember dying a lot on those levels in Normal. I'm not great at
: shooters, but I don't feel like I'm bad :)

Dude, to do that question justice, I would need to conduct a whole clinic for you, but here are a few tips for fighting the Flood:

* Energy weapons (plasma grenades excepted) don't more than annoy the Flood, use your human weapons. The one exception is the sniper rifle. Sniper rounds pass completely through their gooey insides doing no damage.

* The shotgun is your best friend -- the pistol is great for Flood in the distance, but a shotgun to the face will take out every Flood except for shielded Flood Elite in one shot. Until you get the shotgun, the AR does an OK job, it just takes longer to kill and requires more footwork on the player's part.

* Melee strikes only stun Flood, but they do no noticeable damage. Floods always win fist fights.

* Grenades are like care packages from mom. You can stick a clueless Flood with a plasma grenade and laugh from a distance when he, and every other Flood around him, goes boob! Frag grenades also work great, and because they detonate more quickly, are good for moving flood. For frag grenades, try to get them to bounce once before they reach their intended victim (throw them at the floor or bounce them off a wall) as the countdown to detonation only starts after the first bounce.

* Carrier Flood are your friends (until the get too close, that is), because they are waddling explosions waiting to send other, less gassy Flood, on a one-way trip to Flood heaven. Think of them as impact detonated remote bombs.

*In The Library pay attention to the large vents on the walls as that is where the Flood flood out from.

* Again in The Library, there is one door you have to wait for Guilty Spark to float off somewhere to unlock, and while he is gone a whole bus load of Flood appear. Before the flood arrives you can tuck yourself into niche made by the frame of the door and the wall, out of sight of the arriving Flood. Since Flood are not very active unless the have a target, they will just shuffle in place, not seeing you, and so not attack you. If something goes wrong and you do get discovered, this niche is an OK place to fight from as it is protected on three sides and the narrow open side bottlenecks the Flood. Once the door opens, you can run away or move through the door and kill them with more room to maneuver.

And, of course, in general, YouTube can be your friend too, as there are a tremendous number of videos showing how to get through the game. One thing I do find funny about Halo videos on YouTube is, if you know what to look for, you can clearly tell the Xbox players from the PC players just by the auto aim making their shots be regularly miraculous. Just today I watched a video where a Halo Xbox player was shooting down a Banshee with a rocket launcher and this would simply not happen on the PC version because it lacks the heavy-handed auto aim you pretty much need to have when you are playing an FPS with a controler. Trying to shoot down a Banshee on the PC with a rocket launcher will just waste your rockets.

I hope some of this helps! :)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/29/13 4:25 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 1:45 a.m.
           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 5:53 a.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 7/30/13 6:16 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 8:00 a.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 7/30/13 10:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 10:38 a.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 10:52 a.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 11:34 a.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerNarcogen 7/31/13 8:58 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 10:48 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 11:00 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 11:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:34 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerPerseusSpartacus 8/1/13 3:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 3:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/1/13 4:39 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 6:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 3:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 3:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 8:44 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 9:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 10:28 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/2/13 2:39 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 11:16 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 7:45 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerHokuto 7/30/13 6:38 a.m.
           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 7/30/13 1:52 p.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/30/13 3:37 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 11:42 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/31/13 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 7/31/13 5:32 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/31/13 9:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammerjonny 7/31/13 9:32 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 11:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 11:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammerjonny 8/2/13 6:19 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/2/13 2:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 10:50 p.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerHokuto 8/1/13 1:51 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 8/1/13 5:06 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:47 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 8/1/13 3:16 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/30/13 4:09 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.