/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammer
Posted By: jonnyDate: 8/2/13 6:19 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammer (Roland)

: Hey whatever floats your boat. I'll say maps in Marathon 2 and Infinity were
: huge, pretty, and strained the mind a bit. Greg K had Buddha level
: patience with Vulcan, that much is apparent. When the levels are huge, the
: automap is useless, and the objective vague... well thank god for carnage.

I like most of the maps in M2. It's definitely my favorite. The Hard Stuff Rules is the only one I can think of where the automap is useless, but that alone wouldn't be enough to make me dislike a level. And like I said, there are some really good levels in Infinity. With the exception of the dream levels, most of the ones from Post Naval Trauma to A Converted Church in Venice Italy are pretty good. After that, though, everything feels unfinished. I like Son of Grendel, but it just seems like it could have been so much more.

What was so complicated about Vulcan? Did you mean Aye Mak Sicur? That is one hell of a piece of work, but I'm not convinced it's great in terms of game play.

: I don't find the writing pretentious; it's full to bursting with reference to
: a host of good literature, and though sometimes poetic it doesn't waste
: time.

All the references are part of my point - kind of "look how clever I am". The writing style just doesn't live up to what it's trying to do for the most part. But I admit, I'm a fairly harsh critic when it comes to good SF writing.

: The dream levels are probably a deal breaker for some people. They're a sweet
: idea that wasn't supported by the technology of the time. :)

I like the idea of the dream levels, but I think it's terribly executed. And I don't think better technology would have helped. There is just nothing fun about them. Enemies that can kill you with a two or three hits but can't be hurt and barely even seen? What's fun about that? An entire level of pedestal hopping over lava with no way to get back up if you get knocked off? Creating a level with that as a part of the challenge could work, but as it is, it's just annoying as hell. And the Electric Sheep levels just seem pointless altogether.

As far as the overall story goes, it's just not done very well. There is some good SF writing with non-linear stories and multiple time lines, but it's hard to do it well and Infinity doesn't.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/29/13 4:25 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 1:45 a.m.
           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 5:53 a.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 7/30/13 6:16 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 8:00 a.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 7/30/13 10:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 10:38 a.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 10:52 a.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 11:34 a.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerNarcogen 7/31/13 8:58 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 10:48 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 11:00 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 11:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:34 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerPerseusSpartacus 8/1/13 3:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 3:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/1/13 4:39 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 6:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 3:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 3:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 8:44 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 9:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 10:28 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/2/13 2:39 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 11:16 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 7:45 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerHokuto 7/30/13 6:38 a.m.
           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 7/30/13 1:52 p.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/30/13 3:37 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 11:42 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/31/13 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 7/31/13 5:32 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/31/13 9:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammerjonny 7/31/13 9:32 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 11:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 11:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammerjonny 8/2/13 6:19 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/2/13 2:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 10:50 p.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerHokuto 8/1/13 1:51 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 8/1/13 5:06 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:47 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 8/1/13 3:16 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/30/13 4:09 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.