/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammer
Posted By: HokutoDate: 8/1/13 1:51 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammer (Martin)

(Sorry for the slow reply - I don't even have computer woes to blame it on, alas. Though it looks like you've gotten plenty of discussion anyway.)

: Maybe Blake went to some effort to ensure we would see that message -
: infiltrating Tycho's terminal in the first place? Is lt kent another
: person or just code for us? It has been discussed before - is Blake even
: real or just Durandal trying to appear dead while still appealing to our
: "humanity"? I guess here he doesn't quite have a reason to play
: dead yet.

I'm personally not a fan of the "Blake is actually Durandal" theory; for one thing, it's hard to imagine that even while pretending to be someone else Durandal would insult himself. XD So I think Blake is real, but I'm not sure that this message was intended for us, more likely the security officer just takes advantage of it (Lt. Kent is probably one of the many bodies we've left behind us).

: Then we have the idea of memories across timelines. I saw The World's End
: last night - great film btw - and without getting too spoilerish,
: something about "robots with selective memories" could have
: meaning here. Clearly the player remembers things from other timelines in
: Infinity, but does the Security Officer?

Oh, this is a fantastic question! (I really need to go see The World's End, I love Simon Pegg - and if there's robots, that's just a bonus!) Obviously you don't really get the security officer's personal POV in the game, unless you think the rambling stories in the dream level terminals are his thoughts, so there's no way to know for certain; I could see it either way, that either the SO doesn't remember the other timelines while he's in one and only realizes what's going on while he's in the dream levels (and possibly the end of failed timeline levels), or he knows what's going on all the time and is just keeping quiet so he can figure out what to change in the new timelines to try and get a better result.

: Why does Durandal even think we'll just switch to his side? If M2 is
: deprecated at this point, our relationship with him was still about
: following orders because we had no choice back in M1, and his last message
: had him taking off in the Pfhor ship and not really caring what happened
: to us. Does he remember stuff from other timelines, where we got on
: better? Or is it something in the circumstances that led to our being
: woken up by Tycho in this timeline?

Well, he did sign that last M1 message "Love and kisses"... :D Hah, but that's a good point. I think it could point towards the security officer remembering other timelines, particularly the first "working for Tycho" timeline which didn't end so well - or is this that timeline again, just making different decisions farther down the line? Augh - I love this game, but it does give me a headache.

Maybe the SO just ditches Tycho because he remembers that Durandal is more generous with ammunition. (It would be reason enough for me even if I weren't irrationally fond of Durandal - though I am that, too.)

: On Ne Cede Malis, Durandal seems to have no memory of M2, but maybe as we
: advance through Infinity? The same goes for Tycho - we abandoned him after
: Confound Delivery, whether wilfully or not - almost certainly not in that
: case actually - and to me, Naw Man He's Close represents carrying on from
: where CD left off, with Tycho sending us to Durandal's ship. And if things
: are starting to blur in the timelines, perhaps there is more to Tycho's
: being so pissed off on Foe Hammer. Later he calls us on exactly this thing
: that we can't explain or be sure of - things we did only we can't quite
: remember.

I would agree that Durandal does eventually remember M2, but probably not until the merger with Thoth; Thoth does seem to be the only one who outright follows us through the timeline-jumping, so merging with Durandal would give Durandal those memories. Good point about Tycho, however. Hmm. I just went to check the final Confound Delivery terminal and it mentions "a massive structure entering a Lh'owon orbit" - almost certainly the S'pht'Kr with K'lia - and the trih xeem, so now I'm less inclined to think that the Naw Man He's Close timeline is just a later point on that timeline. By the time of Bagged Again I could certainly buy that the timelines are getting blurred for everyone, or at least for the AI. (Isn't there a theory that the Marathon's AI may have utilized Jjaro technology in some fashion? That would explain how Tycho eventually figured out what's going on...)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/29/13 4:25 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 1:45 a.m.
           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 5:53 a.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 7/30/13 6:16 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 8:00 a.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 7/30/13 10:14 a.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 10:38 a.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 10:52 a.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/30/13 11:34 a.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerNarcogen 7/31/13 8:58 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 10:48 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 11:00 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 11:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:34 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 2:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerPerseusSpartacus 8/1/13 3:07 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 3:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/1/13 4:39 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/1/13 6:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 3:35 a.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 3:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 8:44 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammertreellama 8/2/13 9:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 10:28 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/2/13 2:39 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 8/2/13 11:16 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 7:45 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerHokuto 7/30/13 6:38 a.m.
           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 7/30/13 1:52 p.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/30/13 3:37 p.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/30/13 11:42 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/31/13 3:18 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 7/31/13 5:32 p.m.
                                         Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/31/13 9:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammerjonny 7/31/13 9:32 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerAntarctico 7/31/13 11:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 11:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:39 p.m.
                                                           Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe Hammerjonny 8/2/13 6:19 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/2/13 2:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerGodot 7/31/13 10:50 p.m.
                 Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerHokuto 8/1/13 1:51 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 8/1/13 5:06 a.m.
                       Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 8/1/13 2:47 p.m.
                             Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerMartin 8/1/13 3:16 p.m.
     Re: Tycho's Wrath on Foe HammerRoland 7/30/13 4:09 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.