/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...
Posted By: PerseusSpartacusDate: 5/29/13 9:59 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor... (Dispatcher)

: Division of labor/ talent; augmented by genetic differentiation. I think that
: is the gist of what you are expressing.

That is indeed what I'm trying to suggest. The Pfhor basically divide their labor based on the genetic augmentation, making sure that each role is filled by individuals with proper genetic augmentation that would make them more efficient at the job.

: Now you made me look it up. :-O My point is that a slave can rise through the
: ranks and be given responsibilities (the literary example of Joseph being
: made Ruler over Egypt). That stuff is in Gen. 41. But see below.

But the Pfhor don't seem to work that way. We never see any instances of freed Slaves in Pfhor society, and the S'pht talk about their enslavement in a very doom-and-gloom sort of way. The Pfhor don't really seem like the sort to free slaves.

: That would seem logical. But then again, now that we are in the 21st century,
: are you aware of any nations (or UN organizations) which have a similar
: program in place? In fact, if it were, world hunger might be alleviated
: (with the proper shipping protocols in place). Apparently logic and
: reality are not a perfect fit, even in our enlightened age. But all that
: is off topic; my example was dealing with slavery and was not intended to
: get into the rationality of Old Testament thought.

I realize that wasn't your intent. I was just speaking out loud about the seeming lack of rationality in the Egyptians of Genesis.

: Now to specify a
: followup point. Besides an example of a slave rising above his
: expectations, I find it interesting that an assumption is made that the
: Pfhor think like humans. We should make no such assumption. In Pfhor
: society, it may well be that slaves can rise in rank and duties (and
: perhaps still remain slaves).

Well, on the flip side, we have heard mentions of Pfhor soldiers being demoted to Conditioned Rank, the very Rank that Slaves occupy. One could interpret this as being sort of like how in Ancient Athens prior to Solon's Reforms, those who failed to pay their debts would be enslaved (at least if I remember correctly).

On the other hand, the terminals do not specifically say these Pfhor soldiers were put into slavery, just demoted to the same rank (a very technical difference, but nonetheless important for our discussion). So it could still very well be that slavery in the Pfhor Empire is a permanent feature and it is impossible to escape from it once you are a slave. This in fact seems entirely consistent with what else we know of the Pfhor.

Vale,
Perseus

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/25/13 6:56 p.m.
     Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Godot 5/25/13 10:52 p.m.
     Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...ukimalefu 5/26/13 1:21 a.m.
           Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/26/13 9:09 p.m.
                 Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Hopper 5/27/13 4:09 a.m.
                       Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Godot 5/27/13 8:05 a.m.
                             Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor... *LINK*Bob-B-Q 5/27/13 8:48 a.m.
                                   Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Godot 5/27/13 10:42 a.m.
                                         Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Bob-B-Q 5/28/13 5:48 a.m.
                             Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/27/13 10:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Godot 5/27/13 10:32 a.m.
                                         Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/27/13 4:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/27/13 4:22 p.m.
                                                     Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Jabberwok 5/28/13 10:36 a.m.
                                                           Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/28/13 3:00 p.m.
                                               Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/28/13 11:28 a.m.
                                                     Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Dispatcher 5/28/13 2:53 p.m.
                                                           Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/28/13 4:38 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/28/13 5:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/28/13 6:16 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Dispatcher 5/29/13 5:33 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/29/13 11:35 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/29/13 1:16 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Rule Thirty-Pfhor 5/31/13 8:46 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/31/13 11:36 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Dispatcher 6/1/13 7:18 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 6/1/13 9:04 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Dispatcher 5/28/13 5:16 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/28/13 6:27 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Dispatcher 5/28/13 9:35 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...PerseusSpartacus 5/29/13 9:59 a.m.
                                   Re: Rule Thirty-Pfhor...Jabberwok 5/28/13 10:39 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.