/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon Collector's Edition Soundtrack
Posted By: JorgeDate: 3/7/05 4:06 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon Collector's Edition Soundtrack (Ender)

: Actually BobBQ, he said that it DIDN'T have the Infinity theme. He asked us
: for a site that had it. I gave him Psyjnir Music. Yeah, I'm pretty sure
: that it's nonexistant. I've found absolutely no trace of it on the
: internet anywhere. And you'll only blacklist him if I don't get to him
: first...

There was never a Marathon CD released. The only way to get the Marathon tracks on a CD was to rip them yourself.

Marathon 1 music was in MIDI format that played through Quicktime (2.5 was the version out when Marathon was released, and that is what the music was composed on/for). When Apple went to Quicktime 3 they abandoned the 2.5 synth engine and adopted a modified Roland Sound Canvas synth... they made a big deal about this back then, and the sound was indeed better... but since the Marathon 1 music had been written to sound good on Quicktime 2.5, Quicktime 3 ruined the Marathon 1 music for most folks (me included).

The way to preserve the original music intact was to convert the MIDI files from the Marathon 1 music file played through Quicktime 2.5 into an AIFF digital audio sound file. There was a program that did precisely this. It is called the Marathon Music Explorer by Bo Lindbergh. ( http://fileball.net/marathon/item.fb?571327860 )

Once you had the individual Marathon tracks as Quicktime files, it was a simple matter to convert them to digital audio. Once they are in digital audio (AIFF) it is a simple matter to convert them to MP3 format. I personally did this for myself years ago because I wanted to be able to listen to the music in a regular CD player. Being an audio guy, I actually completely remastered the tracks to take advantage of the better sound quality of modern stereo equipment.

The M2 and M3 music files from the menus are simply digital audio files with different creator types. Quicktime will open and play them if you change the creator codes.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackEnder 3/6/05 8:13 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackLeela... 3/6/05 8:32 a.m.
           Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackBob-B-Q 3/6/05 10:53 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackJohannes Gunnar 3/6/05 11:33 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon Collector's Edition Soundtrackluke9 3/6/05 11:51 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackEnder 3/6/05 2:34 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackJorge 3/7/05 4:06 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Collector's Edition Soundtrackluke9 3/7/05 7:09 a.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackLeela... 3/7/05 10:23 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackSteve 3/7/05 7:38 a.m.
           Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackJorge 3/7/05 8:58 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackCraig Hardgrove 3/8/05 8:47 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackLion O Cyborg 6/17/15 3:53 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Collector's Edition SoundtrackLion O Cyborg 6/17/15 3:58 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.