Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

The inpiration's criticism
Posted By: MattBanks <bawstonfan@gmail.com>Date: 3/28/08 6:33 p.m.

In Response To: Nice work! *NM* (Spenser)

Hey, this is Matt Banks. Cracks me up that people are talking about my pictures... but I think its cool.

I love your take on the Control Room. Taking it at the end of the level provided for a very cool lighting and sky. However, I think our goals in the Control Room Panorama were different. When you made yours, your goal was clear.... You wanted to it to be about the building and the setting. For what you wanted, having characters and action in it took away from the meaning. When I made it however, I wanted a complete depiction of the scene and the event at the beginning of the level. While I obviously wanted to take advantage of the amazing scenery and backdrop, the characters were equally important to me. You can see the flood pods as little blurry lines almost star-looking in the sky.... you see the streak and impact of the flood pod on the ground, and you see the flood getting up you obviously see Chief. The problem with this is of course that the characters distract from the background, but when I made it, it wasn't just about the background...

As for what you were trying to accomplish, I think you succeeded. I do, however have a few criticisms... The angle you chose, high up in the sky, gives a very cool view of the Control Room. In mine, I made the view from the bottom, because its meant to be relatively from chief's view, and youre supposed to be there with him as you enter the canyon that the installation is found in. Your angle, gives a better complete view of the control room, but there is a downside. It caused some definite curving and distorting. I will admit that it is completely due to chance, but the angle I chose created no heavy or visible distortion. My second and only other criticism is that I personally think too much of the ground is showing. If I had made that picture, I would personally have cut it off at the bottom on the installation because the ground is nowhere near as interesting. The ground also is a clear indicator of the larger-than-natural angle of perspective, because by the bottom of the picture it is looking straight down.

All in all, I love your picture. I actually made it my background right now because I needed a new one. I'd love to see more panoramas that you've made!

Message Index

Replies:

Assault On The Controll Room Panoramicnomis78 3/28/08 5:28 a.m.
     Re: Assault On The Controll Room PanoramicLouis Wu 3/28/08 6:47 a.m.
           Re: Assault On The Controll Room Panoramicnomis78 3/28/08 7:51 a.m.
                 Re: Assault On The Controll Room Panoramicspu7n1k 3/28/08 8:19 a.m.
                       thankyou :) *NM*nomis78 3/28/08 8:33 a.m.
                 Re: Assault On The Controll Room PanoramicLouis Wu 3/28/08 9:03 a.m.
     Which game is this from...?stan 3/28/08 3:11 p.m.
           Re: Which game is this from...?Vincent 3/28/08 3:26 p.m.
                 Re: Which game is this from...?nomis78 3/28/08 3:42 p.m.
     Nice work! *NM*Spenser 3/28/08 3:25 p.m.
           The inpiration's criticismMattBanks 3/28/08 6:33 p.m.
                 And the creators respons...nomis78 3/28/08 8:40 p.m.
     Re: Assault On The Controll Room PanoramicRosco-128 3/28/08 6:44 p.m.
           ill try it but it might not be immediately *NM*nomis78 3/28/08 7:58 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.