/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: What mess is this?
Posted By: zudoDate: 3/7/03 2:59 a.m.

In Response To: Re: What mess is this? (goran)

: Why go through all that work? Seems stupid to me. Isn't it better to make
: them good from the start instead... :p

When I'm making maps the most important thing to me is establishing a solid mood... so if the level is *quite* fun, but feels more like a level in a game than a place, I'll strip bits out and rebuild them. Mood is unquantifiable, so if you get it wrong, you can only tell once you've got it wrong.

Each and every iteration of the map *is* good enough, fun enough, to qualify as a map. It all comes down to where your priorities lie. First and foremost, I'm a storyteller... and quite a cruel one at that.

: OK so do you... recreate it from scrath or just the bad parts?

As I said above, not the bad parts per se, just the bits that have the wrong mood. Oftentimes the rooms I remove would fit perfectly in a different map (and sometimes do in one way or another). Sometimes, though, I rebuild the map completely, armed with what makes a good mood for a section of the map.

Bear this in mind when you see the end of Salt Pile, or the hub of Gravin Threndor.

: Man your
: levels most be awesome, I mean you work like you were somekind of novel
: writers.

You got it in one.

I love making stories, and think games are the perfect medium in which to tell deep, rich stories.

Hell, I got a job making games precisely for the same reason :D

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What mess is this?Vaxuum BOB 3/5/03 1:33 a.m.
     Re: What mess is this?Todd 3/5/03 1:52 a.m.
     Re: What mess is this?Johannes Gunnar 3/5/03 2:07 a.m.
           Re: What mess is this?Vaxuum BOB 3/5/03 2:30 a.m.
                 Re: What mess is this?Johannes Gunnar 3/5/03 6:13 a.m.
           It was nice knowing you... ;) *NM*goran 3/5/03 4:02 a.m.
           Re: What mess is this?DonPistola 3/5/03 11:14 a.m.
                 Re: What mess is this?D-M.A. 3/5/03 10:36 p.m.
                       Re: What mess is this?DonPistola 3/6/03 2:55 p.m.
                             Re: What mess is this?D-M.A. 3/6/03 8:30 p.m.
           Re: What mess is this?HamburgerBoy 3/7/03 12:31 p.m.
     Re: What mess is this? Bungie Fans Unite!poena.dare #CP# 3/5/03 4:50 a.m.
     Re: What mess is this?Elliott 3/5/03 10:49 a.m.
     Re: What mess is this?PfhorSlayer 3/5/03 7:27 p.m.
           Re: What mess is this?DonPistola 3/6/03 2:47 p.m.
                 Re: What mess is this?goran 3/6/03 10:56 p.m.
                       Re: What mess is this?Todd 3/7/03 1:06 a.m.
                             Re: What mess is this?goran 3/7/03 1:26 a.m.
                                   Re: What mess is this?Todd 3/7/03 1:41 a.m.
                                         Re: What mess is this?goran 3/7/03 2:03 a.m.
                                               Re: What mess is this?Todd 3/7/03 2:25 a.m.
                                                     Re: What mess is this?goran 3/7/03 3:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: What mess is this?zudo 3/7/03 4:34 a.m.
                                               Re: What mess is this?zudo 3/7/03 2:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: What mess is this?Simon Dupuis 3/7/03 8:40 a.m.
                                                           Re: What mess is this?Todd 3/7/03 12:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: What mess is this?Simon Dupuis 3/7/03 8:18 p.m.
                                                                 Re: What mess is this?goran 3/7/03 10:19 p.m.
                                                           Re: What mess is this?goran 3/7/03 10:26 p.m.
                                                                 Re: What mess is this?Todd 3/8/03 12:00 a.m.
                                                                 Re: What mess is this?Elliott 3/8/03 7:54 a.m.
                                                                       Re: What mess is this?Mazilurik 3/8/03 8:55 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.