/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in Dreams
Posted By: Alfred MordeirDate: 12/22/02 8:25 a.m.

Whoa, Ok sorry about the EXTREMELY long break in between installments of the DREAM series. With college finals and everything I wasn’t able to get around to it. I just hope I didn’t leave anyone hanging. For those of you who hadn’t noticed that there was a dream series, I’ll just do a quick explanation. In Marathon ? there was a chain of very strange and disturbing terminal messages that played out like a dream. Mark Levin did the best at trying to present the gist of what was going on with his “Volunteers” series, but to this date, and to my knowledge no one has yet gone through the process of deciphering them completely...
Until now.
I’ve already written a Prologue chapter, which was on the exiting message on “Ne Cede Malis” which I recently reposted.

Anyway, I will now present The First Chapter with “Electric Sheep I”, and “Where are Monsters in Dreams”.

Electric Sheep One: Terminal 0

This is the first officially sanctioned “Dream” Level. You arrive here fresh from your apparent failure at stopping Tycho from using the Tri-Xeem (funny, didn’t Durandal say in the first terminal that Tycho was trying to STOP the Pfhor from using it). Anyway, the terminal here gives mention of your former self being destroyed, and being spared the dance of forever. I believe what it is saying is that you’ve taken the wrong path, and died. But because of this ”the dreaming way”, or your ability for inter dimensional travel, you can escape and avoid whatever lies beyond death “dance of forever”.

“Where are monsters In dreams”: Terminal 0, message 1

OK, Finally the good stuff. This is where it gets interesting. What follows is the first chapter of what has been referred to as the “Knife Saga”. I interpret the entire saga to be a representation of the Security officer’s thought patterns as he tries to figure out what’s going on and what to do next.
The first terminal opens with a vague description of the knife, which seams to contradict both the picture provided, and the second description as seen in “Whatever you please”. It is referred to twice as resembling a broadsword “Something from the knights of the round” (Or perhaps the court of Charlemagne). Also the knife is described as having a leather hilt, when it is described as being plastic in WYP. I’m sure I’ll have no problem finding agreement that the knife is supposed to represent Durandal, but I would like make a note that the knife described here represents specifically durandal in his truest form (Now when does durandal take on other forms in this game?).
Now the terminal its self describes the narrator run in with a mob of black suited men on the way to a movie. The movie, to me, represents the natural course of time that the player was on. The one where you and durandal ride off into the sunset of a Rogue star passing through spiral arms of the milky way. But now that this whole mess with the Wr’ca’n’ter has arisen, you must take an alternate path to an alternate end.

“Where are monsters in dreams”: Terminal 1 message 1.1
In this next terminal we’ve somehow escaped the men in black and descended into the subway. this is where we’re first presented with the battle between the black suited men and the sanitation workers. Here, I see the MIB’s as representing a force of preconceived Evil, while the Sanitation workers are a force of preconceived good. In the previous levels we have been fighting in the name of Tycho and the Pfhor, two entities that we can definitely assign the tag of Evil to. But since the whole Evil thing really didn’t pan out for us, and good just isn’t as much fun we have to find a way in-between the two. Another thing mentioned here is that we don’t have our Keys with us (now where is there a Key in Marathon ?).

“Where are monsters in dreams” Terminal 0, message 1.2

I believe that this message was misplaced. As you’ll see later on, all other messages that take place in Hangar 96 lead to the “failed” Aye Mak Sicur levels, yet this one takes us to Acme Station, previous one takes us to “Aie Mak Sicur”.
Anyway, ideally this terminal, and others like it represent the disaster created by the Tri Xeem. Apparently because of our action we have either caused or failed to prevent this from happening. “I did this, or I could have stopped it.

That’s all I have for now, feel free to chime in with your own theories, maybe you can fill in some of the holes I left out.

The only person who can get rid of those damn gum streaks,
Alfred Mordeir

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in DreamsAlfred Mordeir 12/22/02 8:25 a.m.
     Re: DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in DreamsScifiteki 12/22/02 3:56 p.m.
           Re: DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in DreamsAlfred Mordeir 12/22/02 4:33 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.