/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Unsolved Mysteries
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 8/15/02 2:07 p.m.

Now that the Rubicon Volunteers Series is over, I'd like to clear up a few remaining mysteries that we came upon that drew rampant speculation, or great big yawns (leaving me alone to wonder why), or that failed to get a direct answer from Chris or Scott in spite of our pleas.

Mystery #1: The Chapter Screen for Arrival. Chris or Scott, is there any significance to the three grids, or the numbers or letters superimposed on this image of the Marine?

Mystery #2: The Chapter Screen for Fury. Chris or Scott, or anyone else willing to speculate, what in the world does this image signify?

Mystery #3: The poem in Not *This* Again . . . There was a lot of speculation on this. So, Chris or Scott or anyone else that wants to respond - Is this referring to the marine, Durandal or someone else entirely?

Mystery #4: The binary code in Core Wars. Chris or Scott, or anyone else - is there some significance to the sequence of numbers?

Mystery #5: Again in Core Wars, the term "Calix Temporum reverse allocation". Chris or Scott, is this a reference to the Calix Temporum syndrome (CTS)? Am I correct in translating this as a "vessel of opportunity"? Is the reverse allocation referring to a measure intended to counteract CTS, or is it something else?

Mystery #6: The reference to Arthur Frane in 10001 Nordic Nerds. Not a particularly common name, but one we saw before in You’re Wormfood Dude. When it comes to Marathon, there’s no such thing as coincidence. Chris or Scott, did you intend for this to be one and the same person? Am I correct in surmising that he returned with Robert Blake and ultimately developed the Achilles Virus for Dangi? What does everyone else think about this, since no one commented on it?

And most mysterious of them all,

Mystery #7: The hex code in Sodding the Logs. Chris and Scott have vowed not to tell us what this means. I have tried to decode this, looking for a message, here. This is clearly a series of hexidecimal numbers, but cutting and pasting into Hex or ResEdit yields jibberish. There has to be a message here. I've tried shifting all the numbers by set values but, while this can shift almost all values into the alphanumeric range, it still reads as gibberish. There are two numbers that are highlighted and, I suspect, these serve as a key to decrypting the message, but I'm at a loos and I just don't have the time to decypher this. Many of you out there has told me that you don't know how to decode this or that you don't even know what hexidecimal numbers are (perish the thought). Surely all of the nerds reading this must know someone who is a math wiz and who loves a challenge. Surely one of you knows a real computer geek with a penchant for hacking. Please, for the sake of my sanity, do this one thing for me, and for all who have played Rubicon. Find someone who can decode this message.

Thanks,
Steve Levinson

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Unsolved MysteriesSteve Levinson 8/15/02 2:07 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Unsolved MysteriesYossarian 8/15/02 8:38 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Unsolved MysteriesSteve Levinson 8/15/02 9:14 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.