/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - iwannavacuum
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 8/1/02 10:22 p.m.

When the pfhor entered this satellite, they must have done so through the hull. This entire complex is open to the vacuum of space.

I guess that explains the name off the level ;-)

Perhaps more pertinent to the matter at hand is the fact that the virus uplink chip we're looking for is almost certainly somewhere on this satellite, although I'm not sure where.

You’re never sure, but I guess that that’s better than the disinformation you gave us in the Chimera plank.

Unfortunately for us . . . they installed a ridiculous amount of security bypasses . . . However, there is a structural flaw . . . I've equipped you with a small explosive for this mission; place it where I've indicated. It should blast open the wall, letting you enter the section of the station that is currently off limits . . . Leave no stone unturned.

Well, what are you doing standing there reading this? Don’t you see the oxygen gage in your HUD going down, down, down? We’ve gotta get moving! And as if to emphasize the point:

Having difficulty breathing? Does the skin on your neck chafe when your leash is tightened? lysander.out

This is actually a very interestingly laid out level. It doesn’t feel at all like a typical Chris Lund level, and in fact it’s not – just as with Prize Payment Schedule, it was originally created by Chris Wondra, in this case, for The BioTech scenario, and then retextured and tweaked for Rubicon. In spite of the differences, it fits in rather well and provides a refreshing change of pace – a breath of fresh air . . . err . . . well, anyway, it’s a lot of fun.

This level is big on multilevel elevators, so you need to familiarize yourself quickly with the different levels in the first part of the station. There are some really cleaver tricks, particularly with the place you need to plant the explosive charge. This isn’t the first time someone has done this in a Marathon scenario, but the implementation here is the best I’ve seen. Getting around in the “air vents” is a bit tricky, and unless you sent the elevator down, you may find your way blocked. It is possible to take a shortcut, as indicated in the Rubicon Secrets Guide, but this is a one-way trip with no way back to the pattern buffers, shield regenerator and, most importantly, oxygen regenerator until you have done your platform jumping and cleared a good chunk of the remaining area. If you’re good, this is no sweat, but if not . . .

There are some very interesting spaces in this level, with three control rooms (at least that’s what I think they are) surrounding some sort of docking bay with blast doors that you can open to let in sunlight. One of these control rooms, however, seems to be out of reach . . . I wonder if there is a way to get to it ;-) . That invincibility power-up in there could sure come in handy! In any case, you’ll find the chip containing the data on the Achilles virus in the middle of a very large, U-shaped area with a ton of Pfhor of all varieties. At the southern end is a room that is completely inaccessible. Chris swears that there’s nothing of interest in there, but I’d sure like to be able to take a look inside for myself.

Time has run out for the Pfhor. Their fleet is in shambles, their ships are unable to communicate, and the Achilles data is safely in our hands.

And with that, it’s off to another pivotal point in the game. After a Things May Happen level, it’s the dream level, Revenge of the Lysol Lady.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.