/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - Prize Payment Schedule
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/31/02 12:11 p.m.

Wait a minute. We won that mortar fair and square in The White Room. Now, you’re telling me that we have to take our prize on a payment schedule? Seriously, I just had to take a break from that book chapter I’m writing (checking and cross-checking references is so much fun), and what better way than to work on the Rubicon Volunteers series? In this level, the “prize” is the Achilles virus, and the “payment schedule” more than likely refers to the steps the Pfhor need to take to release it on humankind. It’s up to us to see that they don’t.

The first time I played Rubicon, I thought that the events in Distant Orbit took place on the Salinger, which is clearly not the case. The Pfhor have taken the encoded data describing how to make the Achilles virus to an apparently poorly guarded remote Dangi satellite orbiting a distant star. Perhaps that is what we were seeing in the Chapter Screen for Distant Orbit. The Pfhor need Dangi technology to help them to break the encryption code as quickly as possible, and they need Dangi facilities to manufacture the virus once they have the formula in hand (or whatever passes for a Pfhor hand). Otherwise they could have simply transmitted the formula directly to any Pfhor outpost for decryption and manufacture. Time is of the essence and they need a shortcut – they need Dangi technology.

Unfortunately, Durandal doesn’t know where the Pfhor took the Achilles virus, but he has managed to track them to this particular satellite that you’re about to explore. Durandal wants you to find out all you can about Dangi’s other satellites in this system and to escape using one of the facility’s shuttle pods. To gain access to all areas of the satellite, you’ll need to interrupt the power to the security doors and, to release the docking clamps to the shuttle, you’ll need to cut main power. Durandal doesn’t know which power conduit that you have to smash is which, but cutting main power does permit access to the rest of the facility as well – you just have to swim through the chemical tanks. Gee, I hope those chemicals aren’t carcinogenic. As Durandal says:

Eeny, meeny, miney, moe...

You have to do a bit of fighting, but this is a small level and, once you find the shield recharger and pattern buffer, this is no big deal – if you don’t cut the main power! In the course of your explorations, you’ll come across a few Lysander terminals:

Good luck finding what you're looking for. I understand that certain items can be mighty tough to locate when you don't have the proper information. lysander.remote.out

No, there's no information on Achilles here. I don't know what possessed you to access this terminal. lysander.remote.out

I'll be honest with you: there used to be a map on this terminal . . . But since I'm being honest, I've also got to admit that I've removed all data . . . lysander.remote.out

Well, Lysander clearly doesn’t want to make our job any easier, does he? But if he’s helping the Pfhor, why doesn’t he just give them the encryption code and tell them how to mass produce the virus? Although Lysander does want to see the Achilles virus unleashed on humanity, as we’ll discover soon enough, I’m not sure he’s interested in seeing the Pfhor fill the niche left behind. And besides, knowledge is power and, at least for know, his knowledge is the only leverage he has over the Pfhor. Why would he give that up?

It’s not clear what you are looking for, here. In terms of game play, the objective is simply to visit key areas of the station. There are other places to explore, including a partially submerged room with a 3X shield recharger that works even after the power is cut, as detailed in my Rubicon Secrets Guide, but these are not critical. There are some parts of the map that are completely inaccessible. These are simply used for stupid Forge tricks. There is also a secret room that doesn’t contain anything. Come on, Chris. What’s the point of a secret room without a reward? In any case, we never seem to find any useful information, but somehow Durandal is able to deduce what you need to do next:

I think I know where the pfhor have gone with the stolen virus uplink chip. The Dangi Corporation has a satellite in distant orbit where it stores the raw materials needed to manufacture Achilles. The only information about the location of this satellite is encoded in the navigation computer of this transport shuttle. . . I have instructed the shuttle to transport you to there. Prepare for some stasis.

Hmm. Well, we’d better get going! Time for a little shut-eye in Just a Little Further, followed by a lot of action in iwannavacuum.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.