/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - Hell Pfhor You
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/29/02 2:29 p.m.

What the hell did you get yourself into here. You took Steve’s foolish advice, forgot about the mission of A Long Walk off a Short Pier, took a leap of faith and walked out into space, found the secret alcove and allowed yourself to be transported here. And where exactly is here, anyway? Here is what is potentially the most difficult level in Rubicon – even more difficult than the two vidmaster levels at the end. So why in the world did I tell you to come here? Because you can pick up a ton of ammo, and you don’t need to be a vidmaster to walk off with a lot of loot.

First of all, the terminal picts are a masterful attempt at disinformation. Take it literally when they tell you, "You are not here." This map isn’t even from this level! ** OH GOODY – IT’S A PUZZLE ** OK boys and girls, for the ultimate prize of fame and satisfaction, name the level shown in the pict at the left. C’mon – this is an easy one. You’ve seen this before!

Now in terms of the terminal text, if you thought that Durandal was sarcastic, your greeting to this level is much worse:

See the terminal to your right, blanketed with ammo and weaponry? It's your ticket outta here. And you know the ammo you're already loaded down with? It's not enough. Get to the other side, if you can. [laughter]

If you manage to survive, part way through the level, you’ll come a cross another terminal that is nearly as encouraging:

You know, even though you might weigh a bit more than your average human, you're still not heavy enough to push that table into the floor by sitting on it. You don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about, do you?

And at the end, you’ll get the following message, just as you transport away:

Damn, that table just won't go down. Pity all those goodies are forever beyond your reach. You still don't have the slightest idea what I'm talking about, do you?

Now if you do succeed in unlocking the secret of how to lower the table to gather up the mortar and all the loot, the three messages are just as benevolent:

Lets check out the facts:

1. You found the concealed switch

2. You found the wires

3. Put two and two together

4. And then you log on to the wrong terminal

Its the OTHER terminal - Over THERE

I see you did get the table down... Well? I CAN'T TELEPORT YOUR SORRY ASS OUT FROM HERE!

Hey, looks like you won the prize! How do you like your new swivel-barreled toy? You did pick it up, yes? It would be the height of irony if you hadn't. Or the pinnacle of stupidity.

None of this helps you to survive the level, however, does it? Well, there are 3 basic approaches to the level, one of which involves almost no risk. If you’re happy with the loot you can pick up at the beginning of the level, you can take a shortcut to the other side without encountering a single monster, other than that PCM at the beginning. There is a plasma river at your feet – if you can blast yourself up a plasma-fall, you’ll find yourself right at the exit terminal for the cost of nothing more than a loss of some shielding, a grenade and some bullets. If you’d like to get the mortar and all that ammo on the table, however, you’re going to have to work for it. You can still take the shortcut, but you have to get to two switches and to face a slew of enforcers and PCMs in the process. Nothing like what you have to face in playing the level straight, but a significant challenge none-the-less. Trust me – if you’re moderately good, you can do this. Just check out the Secrets Guide for more info. I myself have done it the long way on Major Damage a couple of times, and on TC using the shortcut many times. This may be a tough level, but it’s a lot of fun.

Whether you take the long way or the shortcut, whether you get the table down and collect the ammo, or just pass through, your next destination is Rozinante VIII.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Hell Pfhor YouSteve Levinson 7/29/02 2:29 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hell Pfhor YouBen A. Potter 7/29/02 7:51 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hell Pfhor YouC Lund 7/30/02 7:01 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hell Pfhor YouAndrew Nagy 8/5/02 8:53 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Hell Pfhor YouSean 9/20/02 7:30 p.m.
           And we have a winner!Steve Levinson 7/30/02 3:53 p.m.
                 Re: And we have a winner!John Sumner 7/31/02 4:30 p.m.
                       Re: And we have a winner!Steve Levinson 7/31/02 5:29 p.m.
                             Re: And we have a winner!John Sumner 7/31/02 6:07 p.m.
                                   Re: And we have a winner!Steve Levinson 7/31/02 8:06 p.m.
                                         Re: And we have a winner!John Sumner 8/1/02 6:07 a.m.
                                   Re: And we have a winner!Steve Levinson 8/1/02 6:53 a.m.
                                         Re: And we have a winner!John Sumner 8/1/02 7:19 a.m.
                                               Re: And we have a winner!Steve Levinson 8/1/02 2:32 p.m.
                                   Release the movies!! *NM*Tilo Probst 8/2/02 1:32 a.m.
                                         Re: Release the movies!!Steve Levinson 9/21/02 9:23 p.m.
                                               Re: Release the movies!!John Sumner 9/22/02 6:07 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.