/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slime
Posted By: Inverted Sock PuppetDate: 6/1/02 12:30 a.m.

I thought I'd jump in here while Steve is busy doing his stuff. Hope you don't mid that :) Anyway, this is the first level of the Pfhor plank and I'm sure you can guess what it entails by the name.

Yes this level is on what I guess you could call a tropical planet. The landscape is pretty much rocky, with waist high pits of green slime and then there's The Swamp™ (for lack of a better name).

This level starts next to a pool of slime with some flying green things over it. These are small green orbs that fly towards you and then blow up; great fun. Here's what happend the first two times I played this level:
1) Ran into a flying mine. Deliberatly.
2)Ran away from flying mines into a hunter, got shot by hunter, ran backwards into flying mine.

Anyway, a bit off topic there. If you go across the map there's another pool of slime and a bunch of hunters that teleport in. Run a bit further into the slime and another bunch of hunters teleport in (lesson one: Don't run further into slime). There's a 2x power up, a shotgun and some shells in a little bunch of trees off to the side. It is possible to run inbetween all the little shrub things but it's tricky and there's about 10 or so hunters baying for your blood. There's a special type of vegetation (looks like a bunch of red stick in the ground) that can be blasted apart with the pistol (only the pistol, nothing else works). So grab the stuff and get out of there. Time for The Swamp™.

I (being totally ignorant in all things forge related) have no idea how the Rubicon team managed to do this but it looks hard. Basically there's red tendrils of vegetation coming down everywhere; this stuff is EXTREMLY dense just at the beginning of The Swamp™. This makes it very hard to see the looker, then the hunter, some wasps, some more hunters and some fighters. Oh yeah there's some of the flying mines here too. The Swamp™ is a great area, especially the first time you play.

This is turning out to be a walkthrough so I'll go a bit quicker here. Think I'll leave it for Steve to post next time. Wow I really need to focus while typing. ANYWAY when you enter the complex the only enemies you should find are troopers and fighters (usually in bunches of two or three) so this is the easiest part of the level. There is no Admiral for you here, he's been taken away by the Pfhor to another facility. You find all this out by reading a pfhor terminal where Carroway is referred to as Prisoner class ID 1741. Durandal tells you about the floating mines (called PCMs ) and Durandal refers back to the incident on Marathon with the security bots. I don't have DTB so I don't have any of the exact quotes but I'm sure Steve can dig them out for everyone :)

Tycho talks to you on another terminal and again I find myself agreeing, or at least sympathising with him. He also appears to have some extra information about corporate greed that he eluds to. I wonder what he's talking about?

On yet another terminal the Pfhor seem to be doing, or want to do some sort of computer calculation that will take 7^43 years to complete. I have absolutly no idea what this is about. Again i don't have the exact quotes.

Durandal talks to you again, confirming what was in the Pfhor terminal that Admiral Carroway has been moved. A mining facility? Sounds interseting. Durandal says that it sounds like something Tycho would have planned but he doesn't seem to know that Tycho has been in contact with you; several times now.

There's a secret terminal that you need to find to finish the level (so it's not really too secet) that can put you through to secret level called Cow Pushing. I don't know if people want to do this level or the next one on the Pfhor plank, Molten Dihydrogen Oxide. Do you want to save the Admiral now or find some secrets? I'll leave it up to you guys. Sorry for this being a little offtopic, I had a little bit of a problem concentrating :)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 12:30 a.m.
     Not bad for a first try ;-)Steve Levinson 6/1/02 2:08 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/1/02 11:47 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 5:55 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeC Lund 6/1/02 6:21 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/1/02 6:35 p.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeC Lund 6/2/02 2:46 a.m.
                             And Hamish would have a Ph.D. *NM*Steve Levinson 6/2/02 6:51 a.m.
                                   Wouldn't it be a PiD? :) *NM*Callie21V 6/5/02 8:32 a.m.
                             Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeVid Boi 6/5/02 7:42 a.m.
                                   its ok, just as long as its not a Cliff note:) *NM*Tru7h 6/5/02 2:26 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/6/02 5:13 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSteve Levinson 6/29/02 7:18 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeInverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:29 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Sea of slimeSean 9/19/02 8:48 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.