/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Just out of curiousity...
Posted By: Claude ErreraDate: 3/10/02 9:17 a.m.

In Response To: Re: I Deny Your Worries. (Joseph "JoeDaMac" Haake)

: My doubts aren't that it won't be done, I've heard enough from Bungie already
: that I know it WILL be done.

: But... WHEN will it be done? And why isn't it done NOW?!
: I can wait no longer! ... though I may be able to wait till tomorrow.

How long should a port take? A port, that is, from a closed, completely-understood platform (where the programmers can feel free to take advantage of every little bit of the hardware without fear of interference) to two, totally different, open platforms, with a HUGE variety of expected hardware (and a HUGE variety of drivers for said hardware, all of which are written by different people and are not guaranteed to get along with each other), where the port in question can no longer take full advantage of the hardware, but must coexist peacefully with everything else running on the platform?

I'm curious because you're not the first to have said that 'this is longer than a port should take'... and in my (very limited) experience, this is less time than a good BETA test normally takes. What sort of games are you talking about, that get fully ported from one platform to two others, and are ready for distribution, in less than 4 months? One or two examples are all I really need. Thanks!

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

I'm still waaaaiting...Joseph "JoeDaMac" Haake 3/9/02 9:08 a.m.
     I Deny Your Worries. *NM*Matt 3/9/02 2:07 p.m.
           ...Djof 3/9/02 5:49 p.m.
           Re: I Deny Your Worries.Joseph "JoeDaMac" Haake 3/9/02 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: I Deny Your Worries.Djof 3/9/02 6:44 p.m.
                 Just out of curiousity...Claude Errera 3/10/02 9:17 a.m.
                       Re: Just out of curiousity...Joseph "JoeDaMac" Haake 3/10/02 11:26 a.m.
                             Re: Just out of curiousity...Djof 3/10/02 2:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Just out of curiousity...Vid Boi 3/10/02 3:16 p.m.
                                         Re: Just out of curiousity...Tru7h 3/10/02 5:26 p.m.
                       Re: Just out of curiousity...archon 3/10/02 11:48 p.m.
                             Re: Just out of curiousity...Claude Errera 3/11/02 8:28 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.