/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rip-Off, Revisited...
Posted By: Beer CanDate: 2/4/02 12:42 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Rip-Off!! (Hamish Sinclair)

Greetings:

Well, it appears I've gotten something started here, eh?

But wait: There's more.

Has anyone mentioned that this so-called "Sleeping God" is directly similar to Lovecraft's "Cthulhu"? I mean, come on..."Cthulhu sleeping, lies dreaming"?

And how about those "Lovecraftian" spellings, like R'Leah (sp?), and so on, present in all the Bungie stuff.

And still more...

Myth: The Necromancers and the Ghols, almost directly lifted from Clark Ashton Smith's "Zothique." You may say the Necromancer character is but similar...yet the Ghols are just about the same creature, far as I can tell.

Do read the Zothique story, "Isle of the Necromancers." Hell, read the whole of "Zothique." I can't remember which story the Ghols appear in, but it's during a desert sequence...

Furthermore, the entire Marathon premise may have been lifted from a screenplay written January 1990, which made many rounds and saw attention from the likes of Schwarzenegger. It also made a tour within the effects/computer/games community of the time, due to its immense visual challenges.

The script features an invading race of bipedal insectoid creatures with multiple eyes. Almost all the action takes place in an alien starship orbiting earth, which in the opening is invaded by UN "marines" on a shuttle...and said shuttle sort of "crash lands" in the starship's hangar bay, with the marines popping-out and taking care of business, with the idea of capturing the ship before it can leave orbit.

These creatures die in explosions of luminous goo, and each has a singular "strand" or "cord" of hair running down their back, much like the robed beings in Marathon do.

There were more similarities, but it's been quite some time, and that's all I remember.

What I *do* remember, however, is thinking, upon my first ever play of Marathon 1, "Wow...this is just like that script!"

And give me a break, man: The Hunter is DIRECTLY lifted from PREDATOR (as is obvious). Don't even TRY and argue it's not.

;)

So if these Bungie guys (God love 'em) have no qualms about "borrowing" from Lovecraft, C.A. Smith, and major films like PREDATOR, they'll borrow from anything. And everything.

Just an interesting observation.

I still love their games, however.

:: Beer Can ::

P.S. Lovecraft and Smith were good buddies..and Lovecraft even joking used C. A. Smith as a character in one of his stories, name of "K'lar K'ashton," or somesuch.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rip-Off!!REB 1/28/02 7:46 p.m.
     Re: Rip-Off!!archon 1/28/02 9:14 p.m.
           Re: Rip-Off!!Vid Boi 1/29/02 4:40 a.m.
                 Re: Rip-Off!!Djof@School 1/29/02 7:25 a.m.
                       That's what's so mysterious about it! *NM*Vid Boi 1/29/02 1:29 p.m.
                 Re: Rip-Off!!D-M.A. 1/29/02 11:20 a.m.
                       You must watch too much of the show '1st Wave'...Ernie 1/29/02 12:47 p.m.
     OMG!! Why hasn't Hamish found out about this yet?Vid Boi 1/29/02 4:42 a.m.
     Re: Rip-Off!!Hamish Sinclair 1/29/02 11:59 a.m.
           Re: Rip-Off!!M-Class 1/29/02 4:34 p.m.
           Re: Rip-Off!!REB 1/30/02 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: Rip-Off!!archon 1/30/02 7:43 p.m.
                       Re: Rip-Off!!REB 1/31/02 7:37 a.m.
                 Re: Rip-Off!!Hamish Sinclair 1/31/02 1:06 a.m.
                       Rip-Off, Revisited...Beer Can 2/4/02 12:42 a.m.
     Re: Rip-Off!!Dan 6/10/02 1:37 p.m.
           Re: Rip-Off!!REB 6/10/02 6:42 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.