/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Alien Factor
Posted By: PedrofDate: 1/28/02 4:36 a.m.

In Response To: The Alien Factor (Hamish Sinclair)

: "It's 1942... An alien creature has crash landed on Earth. If the Allies
: don't find it, the Germans will!"

: Sound familiar?

Am I the only one who looks at other games and sees Marathon in a new shell? Specifically Marathon 2. When I played through Half Life for the first time, I noticed a lot of "similarities". For example, your captured halfway through and lose all your weapons; a fusion gun with the ability to charge up and overload; aliens and humans, and BOBs in the guise of security guards (who fight back if you shoot too many); you go onto the alien ship at the end. Im positive theres more, but its been a very long time since I played through either HL or M2. But the real one for me is System Shock 2 (I havent played SS1 so I dont know what the deal with that is). SS2: Rampant computer Shodan, who uses you at her convenience, and then we have the enemy collective mind (The Many), who constantly tell you your fight is futile, and to join them, but attack you anyway. Sounds a bit like Tycho doesnt it? She hides behind the guise of Doctor Polito for some of the game- remind you of Durandal and Blake? There is another AI's present, Xerxes, who is on the enemies side, but who only does this after he sees they are winning (Thoth?). Your on a spaceship which has been taken over (a la M1), and whose crew are all dead or being turned into hosts for the enemy (Did something like this happen in M1? I havent played M1 or M Infinity so Im not totally clued up).

Or am I just grasping at straws, having been corrupted by the Marathon influence?

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Alien FactorHamish Sinclair 1/28/02 12:34 a.m.
     Re: The Alien FactorPedrof 1/28/02 4:36 a.m.
           Re: The Alien FactorHamish Sinclair 1/28/02 5:39 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.