/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon ambient sound used in Apple commercia
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 1/19/02 11:51 a.m.

In Response To: Marathon ambient sound used in Apple commercial! (Vid Boi)

While my friend was playing Diablo 2, I heard the S'pht'Kr firing sound somewhere. I forget exactly what triggered it; I think it was related to opening town portals. I've also heard the Lh'owon Loon sound used in about a hundred different commercials (I'm not exaggerating), and the Rocket Flyby sound was also used in an old mac arcade game I used to play called _Glider_ for the eponymous paper airplane flying through a vent. _Glider_ was great fun and even had a level editor of its own at one point, which I used before I discovered Forge. It was great fun.

But I've digressed, as I'm prone to doing. I'm not surprised that these sounds keep popping up elsewhere. It's not particularly easy to record wind sounds or explosions in particular, and it's very cheap to buy sound effects from some of these commercial sound effect CDs. A lot cheaper than it would be to hire an engineer to record your own. Still, I always get a kick when I hear a Marathon sound being reused. It's always a blast from the past for me.

As a side note, a lot of the ambient sounds from Tempus Irae also appeared in the Marathon 2 engine-based commercial game Damage-Incorporated. And to digress even more hopelessly, in case anyone was wondering why the map editor for DI was called Orion, it's because "Damage Inc." is the name of the last song on Metallica's _Master of Puppets_. "Orion" is the penultimate track.

One final request: I never got the Marathon 1 or Marathon 2 CDs, only the Trilogy Box set, and my Infinity CD doesn't have the "Jingle Bobs" audio track. Does anyone know where I can download the MP3 music files for these beasts? Would they be on Morpheus or Kazaa, by chance? I'm particularly interested in hearing Alex's recordings of himself from the M1 CD, since I still like the tracks from Marathon 1.

Peace.
Aaron Freed.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon ambient sound used in Apple commercial!Vid Boi 1/18/02 7:08 a.m.
     Re: Marathon ambient sound used in Apple commerciaJonah 1/18/02 1:41 p.m.
           Yeah, that sound seems to be everywhere! Why? *NM*Vid Boi 1/18/02 2:32 p.m.
                 Re: Yeah, that sound seems to be everywhere! Why?D-M.A. 1/18/02 11:14 p.m.
           Re: Marathon ambient sound used in Apple commerciaAndrew Nagy 1/19/02 1:25 p.m.
     Re: Marathon ambient sound used in Apple commerciaAaron Freed 1/19/02 11:51 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.