/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: JJ Interview and Durandal
Posted By: GrailDate: 12/29/01 11:26 p.m.

In Response To: Re: JJ Interview and Durandal (Jason Yates)

: "Do we know anyone who can work magic in fleet engagements against : odds like that?"

I think it's pretty obvious that he's referencing Durandal, especially when his line of talking is interrupted by someone kicking him under the table, indicating he's said something he shouldn't have.

Since there isn't a satisfactory answer, one might assume that the Marathon logos on the PoA are an in-joke from Durandal, were he involved in it's construction. The Durandal connection is a bit difficult to qualify though, because at the end of MI Durandal had merged and become the S'pht's guardian...but perhaps the Durandal part of the AI got bored of the S'pht, or perhaps it seperated, leaving 2 seperate AIs....

For some reason, whenever I think about Halo (haven't had the pleasure to play it for periods beyond 3 minutes) I keep coming back to the Cortana letters/transmissions (http://marathon.bungie.org/story/cortana.html) and I wonder what they were about.... They sound very cryptic and Durandal-ish™, but from the game's opening she doesn't seem like she would speak in such an idiom. She seems to use common vocabulary and terms, but I'm not sure if that's just a show she puts on, or maybe some other reason.....

I may be weird, but i just keep thinking that somehow, Durandal would win, and escape closure.... Maybe once the S'pht'Kr returned and freed the S'pht, Thoth's purpose was done, because there was a better guardian. Maybe Durandal discovered the S'pht'Kr didn't have the neccessary technology to create and destroy matter that he needed, so maybe he returned to Earth? I know in a lot of Sci-fi stories humans are less advanced than other races, but in some of the stories, humans have been shown to evolve and adapt more quickly; So maybe Durandal thought that by sticking with humanity he could win? And he's also talked about a strange affinity for humans, but who knows?

I want to play Halo, because I feel like I'm missing an important piece of information, but I feel like the Cortana transmissions have some higher meaning in the Maraverse/Halo-timeline. So if anyone who has played the game, or even if you haven't, send in some ideas to the Cortana transmissions page (last update Oct 14, 2000? Come on people!).

And Hamish, make a Halo story page, we need someone with a level head, better-than-simian mental capacities, and, most importantly, class and/or style to guide us, and lord knows it won't be me ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
---| The preceding has been certified, factory-tested, GrailRamble™ |---
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

JJ Interview and DurandalRed Hot Ryan 12/28/01 7:47 p.m.
     Re: JJ Interview and DurandalHamish Sinclair 12/29/01 3:58 a.m.
           "Who is Jason talking about?" *NM*Miguel Chavez 12/29/01 6:59 a.m.
                 Durandal *NM*Hamish Sinclair 12/29/01 8:08 a.m.
           Re: JJ Interview and DurandalJason Yates 12/29/01 8:51 a.m.
                 Re: JJ Interview and DurandalHamish Sinclair 12/29/01 10:07 a.m.
                       heh, oopsRed Hot Ryan 12/29/01 11:16 a.m.
                       Re: JJ Interview and DurandalJason Yates 12/29/01 2:39 p.m.
                             Re: JJ Interview and DurandalRed Hot Ryan 12/29/01 4:43 p.m.
                 Re: JJ Interview and DurandalGrail 12/29/01 11:26 p.m.
                       Re: JJ Interview and DurandalHamish Sinclair 12/30/01 3:31 a.m.
                             Oh and here's the linkHamish Sinclair 12/30/01 3:44 a.m.
                                   Re: Oh and here's the linkjack 1/4/02 8:28 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.