/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Dink!
Posted By: MaxDate: 12/28/01 6:45 p.m.

In Response To: Dink! (Djof)

: For me the "pattern bufffers" (note the 3fs :) are just saving your
: image, then restorationg it at will. Thats enough for me.
: And I just hope p-b aren't pluged on the network, because I wouldn't have
: liked Durandal to "tweak" my back-up :D!!

One of the major problems with almost any storing of your data wold be that the environment would be the same as when you died, so for example the BoBs would stay dead, making the pattern buffer useless if you've already botched the mission, so it somehow puts you back where and WHEN you started. Now, in order for the PB to be effective, it must be able to give you your *future* memories (of what happened in the unsuccessful attempt(s) you've just tried), otherwise it would be useless (like rewinding a videotape over again, if nothing changes, it all stays the same, so your memories must go back with you in order for it to be effective). This is convoluted I know, but bear with me ^_^;;

Now, assuming, and this is a strech, that Durandal knew about Pfhor ships and settlements before the Marathon left, if he communicated with them (to tell them where the Marathon was going), by their response he might have been able to discern how to send FTL messages and impulses, and presumably knowing you're a JU enhanced cyborg, must have FTL comm. gear. Now, barring things too complicated for me to understand, when you go faster than light it is possible to go backwards in time. If the PB were high powered receivers, and your JU had an FTL transmitter, what might have happened is that when you die, your JU sends a message (containing your mental info, and hence your most current memories) back in time to a PB to reassemble and implant, giving you your current memories as soon as you log onto a PB.

Using that scenario, you would never die, because once you log onto a PB, all your memories from before you found a PB would come to you. You would never die because if you did, you would just transmit your memories back to the PB, and you would get them with all the other unsuccesful memories. The only things your body would have experienced would be successes, because everytime you failed you'd restart fresh, but with all the knowledge of what NOT to do. (That would have freaked me out, as soon as I log onto each PB I get about 6 different memories of me dieing trying to reach the next PB, only to go on and be completely succesful), I know it's complicated and probably wrong, and now that I think about it, Scifiteki's idea does sound more reasonable.....dang, I guess I've just wasted all, uh, (english doesn't have a plural "you", does it?) your time, as gramatically wrong as that sounds.....

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Scifiteki 12/21/01 8:44 p.m.
     Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)SiliconDream =PN= 12/21/01 11:50 p.m.
           Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)SiliconDream =PN= 12/22/01 1:04 a.m.
                 Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Yossarian 12/22/01 5:49 a.m.
                       Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Mark Levin 12/22/01 6:02 a.m.
                 Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Scifiteki 12/23/01 8:20 p.m.
     Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Arsonperbuilding 12/22/01 7:22 p.m.
           Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)SiliconDream =PN= 12/22/01 7:46 p.m.
                 Dink!Djof 12/22/01 8:09 p.m.
                       Re: Dink!Max 12/28/01 6:45 p.m.
                             True.Djof 12/28/01 7:39 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.