/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)
Posted By: ScifitekiDate: 12/23/01 8:20 p.m.

In Response To: Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex) (SiliconDream =PN=)

Well, considering Durandal was.... Errr.... However many bytes that he was, and the Marathon had THREE AI's, and almost certainly had a bit of spare room......

Which, of course, leads onto the question of was the amount of bytes that Durandal was when he transferred, far more than normal?(Because of Rampancy?) Were normal AI's much smaller? Did Durandal purposely expose Tycho to get more space? Too many questions! Arrgh!

As for Sillicondream's postualtion

: Likewise, you don't see yourself conveniently being picked up by Tycho,
: dispatching Durandal, grabbing his primal pattern, dropping it in Thoth,
: and saving the universe. (If you did, the game would be a lot shorter.)
: Instead, you make mistakes, and the characters around you do things that
: doom the universe. You have to live through those timelines yourself, then
: consciously step out of them to find the right one.

: So it doesn't really seem accurate to me to say that the technology you
: exploit directly influences probability toward a given outcome. If it did,
: you'd be as mystified by your incredible luck as anyone else, and totally
: unaware of all those failed timelines. That technology merely gives you
: the opportunity to rewind time and "roll the dice" again, this
: time changing the odds with the knowledge you gleaned from the future.

Perhaps this is true. The point I was trying to make was that all the possiblities happen SIMULTANEOUSLY, while you are 'smeared'. I'm still trying to work my way around this, is sort of what you're saying.
eg. Marine walks up to Juggernaut, after saving. In this possiblity, he dies messily. BUT, with the Pattern Buffer and Jjaro underpants, he jumps over to another possbilty. And keeps doing this until he finds one in which he DOESN'T die messily. Observers would only see him win in a rash of freakish skill, but doesn't that describe all of us Vidmasters?:)
The other thing I was worried about was why don't OTHER people get freakishly skilled, but my skillful use of Jjaro underpants did away with that.:)

That's enough thought for one day.
Merry Christmas,
Scifiteki

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Scifiteki 12/21/01 8:44 p.m.
     Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)SiliconDream =PN= 12/21/01 11:50 p.m.
           Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)SiliconDream =PN= 12/22/01 1:04 a.m.
                 Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Yossarian 12/22/01 5:49 a.m.
                       Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Mark Levin 12/22/01 6:02 a.m.
                 Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Scifiteki 12/23/01 8:20 p.m.
     Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)Arsonperbuilding 12/22/01 7:22 p.m.
           Re: More On Pattern Bufffers(Very, very complex)SiliconDream =PN= 12/22/01 7:46 p.m.
                 Dink!Djof 12/22/01 8:09 p.m.
                       Re: Dink!Max 12/28/01 6:45 p.m.
                             True.Djof 12/28/01 7:39 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.