/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 12/15/01 12:54 p.m.

In Response To: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended) (SiliconDream =PN=)

A very insightful post!

I would like to propose a slightly different interpretation of mental time travel. First of all, I think that this only works for cybernetic beings. My interpretation is that, when you interact with a pattern buffer, you are downloading future memories from your cybernetic implants. From the player's standpoint, you experience all of the different outcomes from that point on sequentially, but in the end there is only one outcome. When you die, your cybernetic implants communicate with the last pattern buffer that was accessed. It is possible that the implants could be contacting the pattern buffer at a time in the past, but I think that it is more likely that the implants interact with the pattern buffer in the present. The pattern buffer then transmits your memories back in time to a point when or before you access it. It is the pattern buffer, then, that does the mental time traveling - not you. Each time you reexperience a series of events and then die, the pattern buffer appends the new memories to those already stored. Thus, when you first access the pattern bufffer, you will be downloading all of the memories from all of the alternative outcomes, allowing you to ultimately choose a successful outcome. Of course there is an element of chance involved, but negative outcomes, since they are not successful, do not contribute to the final outcome.

I believe that this is a very different sort of time travel from that involved in infinity, in which it is the Wr' that creates the chaos that makes time travel possible on a much grander scale.

There are some obvious flaws in my theory, but these are no worse than those present in the other theories presented. With so many pattern buffers to be found, why don't we *ever* see anyone else using them? For one thing, the pfhor are not themselves cybernetic - a seeming contradiciton, given that they use cybernetics to enslave those they conquer - but there is a reference in M2 that they have no cybernetic mechanisms whatsoever. But then why don't the S'pht use them? With their abilities, you would think that they could even download your memories of the future and use them against you. Perhaps the temporal link is specific to you alone, but then why would pattern buffers be everywhere?

And what about when we change levels? Sometimes this involves travel through significant distances and time. How can we interact with pattern buffers that are lightyears away or that we last accessed a long time ago? Are there any limits to the process?

In any case, as pointed out, none of these theories fit with what we are told in the actual game. Durandal in M2 even says that he uses the pattern buffers on L'howon to upload your pattern to Boomer - but that is exactly the opposite of what seems to happen. Clearly Bungie didn't think this out as well as we have ;-) .

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)SiliconDream =PN= 12/15/01 3:34 a.m.
     Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)Mark Levin 12/15/01 4:04 a.m.
           Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)SiliconDream =PN= 12/15/01 3:40 p.m.
                 Quantum Time TravelHippieman [B.Org] 12/15/01 4:48 p.m.
                       Re: Quantum Time TravelSteve Levinson 12/18/01 5:23 a.m.
                             Re: Quantum Time TravelSiliconDream =PN= 12/18/01 8:54 a.m.
                                   Re: Quantum Time TravelSteve Levinson 12/18/01 12:49 p.m.
     Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)Tru7h 12/15/01 4:40 a.m.
           Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)SiliconDream =PN= 12/15/01 3:45 p.m.
     Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)archon 12/15/01 8:33 a.m.
     Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)Steve Levinson 12/15/01 12:54 p.m.
           Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)[Tycho?] 12/15/01 1:28 p.m.
                 Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)Steve Levinson 12/15/01 2:47 p.m.
           Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)SiliconDream =PN= 12/15/01 4:05 p.m.
                 Re: Time Travel revisited (no pun intended)Steve Levinson 12/16/01 11:09 a.m.
     OopsSteve Levinson 12/15/01 1:01 p.m.
           Re: OopsJeff Nosanov 12/16/01 9:23 a.m.
                 Re: OopsSteve Levinson 12/16/01 10:42 a.m.
                       Re: OopsGrail 12/29/01 1:34 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.