/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RollerCoasters
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 12/14/01 10:15 a.m.

In Response To: Re: RollerCoasters (Ahruman)

: Sorry, but you're wrong. I've been in a sufficiently fast centrifuge for the
: floor level to be non-tangiental to gravity, and apart from the weird
: visual effects it felt like accelerating upwards (or higher gravity).
: Similar mechanisms are used by pilots and astronauts to train for high
: linear accelerations.

I conceed that you have a point. I know two astronauts personally - one I've known most of my life and the other is a physician colleague. The training centrifuges spin at at least 1 rps. I can't say personally what it's like, but obviously people can adapt to such rotations.

: The inner ear measures angular acceleration
: (torque? can't remember the English terminology), not angular velocity.

Again, you are right, although torque is angular acceleration as force is to linear acceleration - they're not the same. Once you are spinning, the fluid in the inner ear will spin with you. It is only with angular acceleration and deceleration that you are aware of motion. That is why the room seems to spin when you *stop* spinning. The sensation of nausea develops when there is a disparity between sensory inputs to the brain - eg. your eyes tell you you are spinning but your ears tell you you are not.

I guess that's what happens when I accept what I have read elsewhere without stopping to *think* about what I have read.

: If you work out the forces acting on someone standing in a centrifuge
: in a 0-g environment, then _with respect to the person, who is also
: rotating_, the resultant force is outwards, and the outside of the
: centrifuge becomes the floor.

Yes, we've already said that. That's why the windows in the Marathon wouldn't make sense if rotation were used to provide artificial gravity, as they'd be in the floor.

: The effect is indistinguishable from acceleration or gravity
: appearant that for any given point, although of course for a
: larger area it is one is inside a cylinder (just as acceleration
: is a plane, and gravity is the outside of a sphere). Also, there
: will be strange visual effects (people walking on the floor and cieling).

This is true up to a point, and it depends very much on the diameter of the cylinder or sphere. The gravity gradient will be much more perceptable than it is on earth, with a noticable disparity between gravity in your head and your feet (if the Marathon is big enough, though, this may not be evident). Walking in such an environment would feel wierd, as your feet would move farther than your head. Jumping would be particularly strange, as momentum would cause you to fall in the direction of spin, rather than downward. Again, depending on size, this may not be all that perceptable, but I imagine that people living in such an environment would fall a lot until they adapt. Bobs would probably find planetary gravity equally strange.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHTON?Ernie TMBM 12/12/01 4:30 p.m.
     Just an addendumErnie TMBM 12/12/01 4:35 p.m.
           This is normal.Djof 12/12/01 5:01 p.m.
     Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSiliconDream =PN= 12/12/01 6:27 p.m.
           Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSNoblitt 12/12/01 7:41 p.m.
           Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSteve Levinson 12/12/01 8:37 p.m.
                 Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSiliconDream =PN= 12/12/01 10:15 p.m.
                       Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSteve Levinson 12/13/01 5:00 a.m.
                             Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHDjof@School 12/13/01 5:59 a.m.
                                   Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHget azure 12/13/01 7:26 a.m.
                                         Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSteve Levinson 12/13/01 10:31 a.m.
                                               RollerCoastersDjof@School 12/13/01 11:36 a.m.
                                                     Re: RollerCoastersSteve Levinson 12/13/01 1:15 p.m.
                                                           Re: RollerCoastersTrahojen 12/14/01 3:41 a.m.
                                                                 Re: RollerCoastersSteve Levinson 12/14/01 7:54 a.m.
                                                           k then :)Djof@School 12/14/01 7:03 a.m.
                                                           Re: RollerCoastersAhruman 12/14/01 8:36 a.m.
                                                                 Re: RollerCoastersSteve Levinson 12/14/01 10:15 a.m.
                                                                       Re: RollerCoastersDjof 12/14/01 12:31 p.m.
                                                                             Re: RollerCoastersSiliconDream =PN= 12/14/01 5:24 p.m.
                                                                       Re: RollerCoastersRampant Document 12/15/01 6:03 a.m.
                                                                 Re: RollerCoastersSiliconDream =PN= 12/14/01 5:23 p.m.
                             Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSiliconDream =PN= 12/14/01 12:27 a.m.
                                   Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHget azure 12/15/01 6:06 a.m.
                                         Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHTru7h 12/15/01 7:03 a.m.
                                               Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHRincewind MoG 12/15/01 8:27 a.m.
                                                     Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSteve Levinson 12/15/01 10:08 a.m.
           Chemical freaks indeedElectricSheepOne 12/16/01 10:55 a.m.
                 You're right - I remember that *NM* *NM*Steve Levinson 12/16/01 11:12 a.m.
     Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHVid Boi 12/13/01 12:47 a.m.
           Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSteve Levinson 12/13/01 4:38 a.m.
                 Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHShnu 12/14/01 7:08 p.m.
                       Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSiliconDream =PN= 12/14/01 11:43 p.m.
                             Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHAhruman 12/15/01 9:48 a.m.
                                   Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHSiliconDream =PN= 12/15/01 3:25 p.m.
     Re: What kind of Chemical freak designed the MARAHMark Levin 12/16/01 11:10 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.