/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....
Posted By: REBDate: 12/9/01 7:02 a.m.

In Response To: M1-A1 Weid story questions.... (Ernie TMBM)

That was my way of physically connecting the two games.

I came out with this theory that the player in Marathon entered the ship via the door behind him on Arrival's starting position (there's a room behind that door on the original map, like a teleporter, but it's not textured like one). And the player in PID exited the game entering on a long, dark tunnel.

So I figured out the door behind the player at the beginning of Marathon was the exit of the tunnel at the end of PID.

Even though this may be just a nice idea, remember that on the original plot the player was inside the Marathon by the time the invasion began (he was a electric technician). That unused room may had been a cryo-sleep chamber. Or maybe it was indeed a teleporter: the player teleports in because tha area have been sealed-off to contain the aliens and there's no other way to get in the infested area.

That also could explain the deal with the jumping pads (http://marathon.bungie.org/story/jumppads.html). In the original game the ship AIs were not damaged by the assault and proceed to seal the areas overrun by aliens, then the player is teleported in to clean the place. After he's finished, the AIs teleport him to the next sealed area via a jump pad.

Actually, three cooperative AIs are more than necessary for this kind of situation. Perhaps the original Marathon had only one AI (Traxus?)

OK, enough rant.

The speed issue on Aleph One is an old bug (like the flashing HUD) that should be addressed to the developers. But taking in consideration that sending a bug report to them is a waste of time -- except for Mr. VacBob --, I think you have found a good solution (sticking to an old build).

http://marathon.bungie.org/story/jumppads.html

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

M1-A1 Weid story questions....Ernie TMBM 12/9/01 5:38 a.m.
     Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....REB 12/9/01 7:02 a.m.
           Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....Eon 12/9/01 9:21 a.m.
                 Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....Djof 12/9/01 4:50 p.m.
           Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....gr 12/9/01 11:40 p.m.
                 Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....Hamish Sinclair 12/10/01 8:48 a.m.
     Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....Speaker-To-Animals 12/9/01 5:01 p.m.
           Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....Ernie TMBM 12/9/01 5:32 p.m.
                 Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....Djof 12/9/01 6:38 p.m.
                 Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....REB 12/9/01 6:44 p.m.
                       Thanks, but...Djof 12/10/01 10:20 a.m.
                             Re: Thanks, but...7revor Smith 12/10/01 1:46 p.m.
                                   No, it don't :( I have that "one chip problem" *NM*Djof 12/10/01 4:32 p.m.
     Re: M1-A1 Weid story questions....Theocracity 12/10/01 3:14 p.m.
           Well, crap....Theocracity 12/10/01 3:23 p.m.
                 Ramapnt Speculation! Hee hee! I made a pun!Rincewind MoG 12/10/01 5:09 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.