/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 12/5/01 6:08 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time (CharlesS)

: It's possible that Durandal/Thoth is not the same as the Durandal from the M2
: universe, but rather a combination of Thoth and a Durandal from another
: timeline (Thank you, old friend. Or friend of a friend, as the case may
: be). Since, as Mark Levin has pointed out, the non-violent solution the
: player ends up with in the end works in any timeline, since it doesn't
: just kill off random main characters, it's possible that you and
: Durandal/Thoth could have returned to your original universe, contained
: the W'rkncacnter, and caused the "real" Durandal to just cruise
: on off, completely unaware of what happened at L'howon, allowing the M2
: ending to continue. Wasn't Durandal planning on leaving before the Pfhor
: set off the trih xeem anyway?

That's a very interesting idea, and one that I hadn't considered. It reminds me of a couple of episodes of Star Trek TNG - Yesterday's Enterprise, in which a time rift alters history and the events that happen around that rift serve to restore the original time line, leaving the crew unaware of what happened until they encounter a residual character from the alternate time line later in the series, and the series finale, which has a very similar theme. In fact, Moo almost seems like a copy of that story, in which Picard accidentally creates an anomaly that expands outward in space and time, ultimately undoing the evolution of life on Earth. Collapsing the anomaly destroys the alternate time lines, but restores the original time line as if nothing had happened at all.

I think you're probably right - containing the W'rkncacnter restores the M2 time line, rather than correcting it. But that then leaves the rather uneasy question of what happens to the marine and Durandal/Thoth from Moo. Theoretically, they should have ceased to exist - but that would have been very difficult to incorporate into the ending screen of Moo.

Regarding the idea of multiple universes and realities - this is something I have a great deal of difficulty accepting as it violates any one of a number of physical principles. But so does FTL and time travel, for that matter. Not that I beleive there is only one universe, but I think that there could be only one reality in *this* universe. If we do put certain aspects of Relativity aside (as we must for si-fi to be interesting at all), I still beleive that the multiple realities in Moo resulted from the W'rkncacnter itself. Yes, there are multiple W'rkncacnters and the W'rkncacnter of Lh'owon's sun had been around for some time, but W'rkncacnters do not usually exist in ordered space. If the W'rkncacnter in fact allowed us to see multiple realities that previously existed, then there must be an infinite number of realities (which would fit nicely with the name of the scenario), but the implications of that become truly mind boggling. From a mathematical standpoint, were not just talking about an aleph 1 degree of infinity, but at least an aleph 2 or 3 (Marathon A1 was named for what exists beyond infinity). The concept of an infinite number of realities is just too hard to grasp for me - just too implausible - so I believe there must be one and only one unique reality. Otherwise, there would be no point in having a story, since all possible outcomes would occur and there wouldn't be much point to telling about just one of these.

Just my $.02.

-Steve Levinson

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeMark Levin 12/4/01 11:02 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time[Tycho?] 12/4/01 11:28 a.m.
           Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/4/01 12:53 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTycho7en 12/4/01 1:38 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeShnu 12/4/01 2:37 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/4/01 4:54 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTycho7en 12/4/01 6:23 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTru7h 12/5/01 12:37 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSNoblitt 12/4/01 7:40 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeCharlesS 12/4/01 10:18 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/5/01 6:08 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.