/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time
Posted By: Tycho7enDate: 12/4/01 1:38 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time (Mark Levin)

: The terminal in here has a lot to tell us, if we can figure out how to read
: it. "Doubt, fear all blend"? If Tycho is doubt, who is fear?

Tycho as Doubt? The marine as Destiny? It's very likely that everyone has such a role in this twisted universe. Wasn't Durandal once said to be a "Weapon"? I don't think we ever did get a definate answer as to who wielded Durandal in the triolgy... is it possible that he has had more than one "master"? And what of his sudden shift in attitude towards the Marine in M2? Granted, he was (and remains) the sarcastic Durandal that we knew from M1, but he had more of a hopeless aura about him when he'd crash Leela's party... whereas in M2, he seems more like he's a member of your team. I wonder why Durandal never criticised the Marine in Moo...

: I believe that Tycho is already dead, destroyed by Durandal or the Pfhor he
: tricked, and this little diversion he arranged is his last chance to
: posthumously destroy us (the ammo would be sent by Durandal, to help us
: survive). The terminal mentions merging, finally saying that "you and
: we are one". Who merged? Who is the terminal meant to address?
: Perhaps the Jjaro make all their creations part of one collective
: unconscious, and the Marine's ascension means that he is now of one mind
: with Durandal, Thoth, and S'bhuth. The last terminals on this level may be
: representative of that communication, with information coming from both
: the arena's computers and the Marine's implants, which would explain why
: they seem to contain several messages at once. We learn at last what the
: W'rkncacnter is and why it is so fearful, and at long last we learn how
: the Jjaro defeated it and how we may defeat it again.

Tycho, dead? I'm not so sure about that. I believe that he's still alive, but the... uh, Durandal/Thoth entity crashed his party and gave you a chance to escape (note the "DEMAND OVERRIDE" messages).

: (Disclaimer: What I'm about to suggest here, and when we do Aye Mak Sicur, is
: some rather shaky reasoning that has no real evidence in the game; it's
: just something I'm using to plasuibly cause the end of Infinity to take
: place in the same universe as the beginning, so that there is only one
: "Marathon universe" for all of Marathon's stories, original and
: 3rd party, to exist in.)

Here's my take; I believe that all of the parallel universes in Moo were, indeed, the results of the W'r(I'm not going to TRY to spell his name, if you please) chaos. The reality is... they didn't exist before Moo. The universes might have been attempts made by the Jjaro to save the universe from a melancholic end, or they could have been directly created by the W'r monster (the former seems more likely, what with the Jjaro terminals in the "dream" universes and whatnot.) Since the Jjaro seem to have knowlede of distastrous events before they happen (PiD), they could have had time to craft these elaborate universes before the W'r monster could awaken a second times from its shaky prison. My belief is that the universes all come together as one, post-Infinity. (well, it's likely considering that the end of M2 told about the events to come all the way to... oh, about 12811 AD)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeMark Levin 12/4/01 11:02 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time[Tycho?] 12/4/01 11:28 a.m.
           Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/4/01 12:53 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTycho7en 12/4/01 1:38 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeShnu 12/4/01 2:37 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/4/01 4:54 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTycho7en 12/4/01 6:23 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTru7h 12/5/01 12:37 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSNoblitt 12/4/01 7:40 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeCharlesS 12/4/01 10:18 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/5/01 6:08 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.