/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 12/4/01 12:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time ([Tycho?])

: How did the marine actually travel between universes??

Ah, this is the question that has really bugged me throught the volunteers' discussion. Has Thoth been shuttling the marine back and forth? But even Thoth's activation between universes changes. I think that the answer can be found in Admiral Tfear's message to Pfhor High Command, as related in the Infinity manual. I won't post the entire introduction, which is lengthy, but here's the pertinent passage:

"The nova went off on time and for a moment our simple victory was assured. But then, in a pathetic failure of discipline, the fleet’s ranks broke in an all-out retreat. All quarters reported the same thing: half of the sun had gone nova, but the readings from the other half were impossible. It was as if the universe had forgotten its own rules."

I believe that what allowed the marine to move among universes was the W'rkncacnter itself. The W'rkncacnter is in a state of chaos. It lives outside of normal space and time. The chaos it breeds breaks down the barriers among different universes and allows the simultaneous existence of multiple realities, as exemplified by the Admiral's statement.

But there's still a lot left unexplained. How does the marine end up on the Ancient Jjaro station in Ne Cede Malis in the first place? Why is it Thoth's ramblings that follow us in our dreams? Could it be that Thoth somehow brought us to the station after the W'rkncacnter was released? Or is it Durandal, or Thoth as instructed by Durandal, or the merged Thoth/Durandal entity from the future? So many questions!

In YTYBT, do the terminals contain the truth from all universes, or is the marine able to see the truth from all universes? More likely, I think that this is another manifestation of the breakdown of the boundaries among the different realities, as brought about by the W'rkncacnter. As the marine gets closer to his "destiny" and to containing the W'rkncacnter and restoring order, the different realities may in fact be merging into a single reality. It is interesting that Durandal/Thoth in Aye Mak Sicur seem to have no knowledge about the W'rkncacnter's wrath or of the multiple realities that the marine has experienced, but that's a discussion to be left for the next chapter in the volunteers' saga . . .

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeMark Levin 12/4/01 11:02 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big Time[Tycho?] 12/4/01 11:28 a.m.
           Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/4/01 12:53 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTycho7en 12/4/01 1:38 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeShnu 12/4/01 2:37 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/4/01 4:54 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTycho7en 12/4/01 6:23 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeTru7h 12/5/01 12:37 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSNoblitt 12/4/01 7:40 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeCharlesS 12/4/01 10:18 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteers: You Think You're Big TimeSteve Levinson 12/5/01 6:08 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.