/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Terminals......
Posted By: The Bob U Shot N The HeadDate: 11/13/01 10:20 a.m.

In Response To: Volunteers: Where are Monsters in Dreams (Mark Levin)

That's what sets Marathon apart from every other produced game: they backed up the wonderfully created spooky atmosphere with an outstanding plot wrapped insisde some truly freaky terminals.
Take this level. I was puzzling over the terminals about the continued psychosis of Thoth (I always thought these messages were from Thoth, using an odd, psychotic metaphore) for hours. Bungie freaked the heck outta me.
I think every coridor shooter oughta have terminals like this - well - then 'thon wouldn't be so unique, would it?

But, I am interupting, aren't I? Slightly closer to topic, I always thought those terminals were from Thoth, as I said. I always thought that he couldn't quite manage to communicate his meanings to the marine directly - like when you have a thought you don't have the words to do justice to. I thought that Thoth couldn't accurately express himselfe on the "lowly" human level without the use of metaphore. Whenever he tried to communicate his thoughts directly, it came out as equilly psychotic but now disjointed ramblings, so to solve to solve the problem, I assume he cooked up an allegory about a psychotic. I admit I still don't know what he was trying to say, so it's an incomplete theory, I'm just saying.....

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: Where are Monsters in DreamsMark Levin 11/13/01 7:38 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers: Where are Monsters in DreamsHamish Sinclair 11/13/01 8:08 a.m.
           Mixed up terminal messagesAlfred Mordeir 11/13/01 11:10 a.m.
                 Re: Mixed up terminal messagesHamish Sinclair 11/13/01 11:27 a.m.
     Terminals......The Bob U Shot N The Head 11/13/01 10:20 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers: Where are Monsters in DreamsRincewind MoG 11/13/01 2:14 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.