/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eve Online, A greater game then Halo?
Posted By: ReconNDate: 10/19/01 6:32 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Eve Online, A greater game then Halo? (Johannes Gunnar)

: well there is one thing that is better then in halo and i think that is the
: graphics, i have seen more detailed 3d models in Eve then in Halo.

I don't think that's so true. The shots are very beautiful for EVE, but I don't know that it's anything that technological. The game takes place in space, and most of what I've seen are just very detailed, well painted environment maps. You could take the Quake 2 engine and do the same thing with minor tweaking and new sky textures.

As for models, I've only seen ship models, and there's no way of telling how far away you are, or what the polycount is on any of them. They may look more detailed than the PoA or the Halo in the background of the Cortana shot, but that's because they've concentrated on spaceships in EVE, it being a spaceship game. EVE would never be able to render the things that Halo does, and vice versa.

Again, I'm not putting down EVE, I'm fairly excited for it, and think it could be really fun if they do it well. It's just not fair to compare it to Halo.

And in any case, I think Halo is likely a more powerful (won't say better, because they're both trying to accomplish very differnt things) engine, counting how much it has to display at any given time (unlike space where you only have to deal with a couple of ships, and the occassional base or planet or FTL gateway-thingy).

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eve Online, A greater game then Halo?Johannes Gunnar 10/18/01 1:30 p.m.
     mac? *NM*Xtra 10/18/01 2:50 p.m.
     Re: Eve Online, A greater game then Halo?ReconN 10/18/01 5:45 p.m.
           Re: Eve Online, A greater game then Halo?Johannes Gunnar 10/18/01 11:42 p.m.
                 Re: Eve Online, A greater game then Halo?ReconN 10/19/01 6:32 p.m.
                       Re: Eve Online, A greater game then Halo?Andrew Nagy 10/22/01 3:18 p.m.
     Re: Eve Online, A greater game then Halo?Vid Boi 10/19/01 5:54 a.m.
     Halo talk...whocares 10/19/01 7:51 a.m.
           Re: Halo talk...Johannes Gunnar 10/19/01 8:26 a.m.
                 Re: Halo talk...Inverted Sock Puppet 10/19/01 8:12 p.m.
                       Re: Halo talk...whocares 10/21/01 3:57 p.m.
           Re: Halo talk...Hamish Sinclair 10/19/01 8:34 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.