/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Who is the man named Johannes?
Posted By: Jonathan BahamonDate: 9/29/01 3:13 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Who is the man named Johannes? (eXistenZ)

: This tread is getting rather silly

oy. this has gotten out of hand. I hope i'm not making the next all your base are belong to us internet trend. I don't think I could live with the social stigma of having created something of monsterous proportions like AYBRB2U. If that isn't a resume stain, then I don't know what is.

I never expected for this thread to come back around at me like this. Sure, I expected that some would ask me the same questions that I asked Dr. Sinclair, but not using my own words. Well, people on the Internet never cease to amaze me. ^_^ And they say that imitation is a form of flattery. So thank you for your praise on my prolific prose.

Hmm, about myself? I hope nobody sees this as "tooting my own horn," as my stepmother would say. So for the sake of the purposes of this forum, I'll keep my egotistical self-praise strictly on how I got into Marathon.

Let's see. My mother bought a Mac a couple years back. It came with Marathon 2. At first I thought it sucked. So I went out and bought Duke Nukem 3D for the Mac in order to keep me entertained throughout my summer break. Beat it in about two weeks. Then I bought Final Doom. Sucked also, and got me depressed. I still don't know why it got me depressed. Perhaps it was the monotony of it.

So I went back to Marathon 2. At first I could not for the life of me figure out how the hell you were supposed to quit out of the game. So I would just crawl underneath the table and flip the on/off switch on the power strip. Not a good idea in hindsight. Also, in hindsight, I wonder why the hell I would need to get out of M2, since it was so engrossing and... fun. Later I would read the manual and figure out the quit command. Hehe.

A year later, I bought Marathon Infinity instead of that great celestial whore Quake for the Mac. (It was a good thing I didn't buy it, because later on I put the demo on the Mac and it sucked compared to the opengl pc version i had at home.) Played Infinity, couldn't make heads or tails of the story (heh), downloaded the save game editor (i prefer this term over "cheating/hacking implement), and cheated my way to the end. Oh well.

Got Evil off of a MacAddict CD, and it scared the hell outta me. Evil was, and still is, the best mod ever. And I mean ever. Not even Day of Defeat for Half-Life is as good as Evil. And that's saying a whole lot, because Day of Defeat kicks the shit outta Counter-Strike and all those "l33t-h4X0r" AWP whores.

^_^

For some strange reason, I've only met one other Marathon enthusiast while I was in Washington, D.C. So at my high school I'm the only one who's "seen the light" (of a pfhor staff, that is). Hopefully Halo will change that, because it's the only Bungie game that's had any decent press coverage. I'm planning on hooking my friends on Marathon after they give Halo a whirl. They'll be saying, "Halo who? Never heard of her."

As a parting thought, I give you guys this: the .44 magnum cartridge fired by the pistols in Marathon is one hell of a cartridge. I mean, the .45 ACP isn't that powerful and it could knock me down onto my ass! The Marathon Marine must have one hell of an upper body strength to fire two at a time. I'm thinking about getting a desert eagle, giving it a wooden grip, and putting a scope on it so it'll look (kinda) like a Marathon pistol. That would be cool. I'll even hang it up on a Marathon symbol plaque. Heh.

Vale, amici,

Jonathan Bahamon

P.S.: is it just me, or are the Pfhor fighters a bunch of wimps? I feel that I could take one one with my wooden bokken sword. Yeah, I would love to beat one of those things with a bokken. I could practice my special "Hiten-Mitsurugi Ultra-Sonic Sword" technique on it! Hehe!

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Jonathan Bahamon 9/28/01 7:56 a.m.
     Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Uriel 9/28/01 9:14 a.m.
     Who the hell is Hamish Sinclair?Hamish Sinclair 9/28/01 9:15 a.m.
           Re: Who the hell is Hamish Sinclair?Jonathan Bahamon 9/28/01 9:31 a.m.
     Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Claude Errera 9/28/01 9:45 a.m.
           Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Johannes Gunnar 9/28/01 9:52 a.m.
                 Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Alfred Mordeir 9/28/01 10:34 a.m.
                 Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Lophan 9/28/01 12:08 p.m.
           Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Hamish Sinclair 9/28/01 11:39 a.m.
                 Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Uriel 9/28/01 12:10 p.m.
                 Re: Who is the man named Hamish Sinclair?Johannes Gunnar 9/28/01 1:51 p.m.
     Re: Who is the man named Jonathan Bahamon? =)Traxus 9/28/01 10:59 a.m.
           Who is the man named Traxus? the joke goes onJohannes Gunnar 9/29/01 2:11 a.m.
                 Who is the man named Johannes?archon 9/29/01 8:33 a.m.
                       Re: Who is the man named Johannes?Johannes Gunnar 9/29/01 10:02 a.m.
                             Re: Who is the man named Johannes?eXistenZ 9/29/01 12:07 p.m.
                                   Re: Who is the man named Johannes?Jonathan Bahamon 9/29/01 3:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Who is the man named Johannes?Max Etchemendy 9/29/01 10:51 p.m.
                                               Re: Who is the man named Johannes?Jonathan Bahamon 9/30/01 2:16 p.m.
                                                     Re: Who is the man named Johannes?Vid Boi (formerly known as Traxus) 9/30/01 11:24 p.m.
                                                           Re: Who is the man named Johannes?Jonathan Bahamon 10/1/01 7:48 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Who is the man named Johannes?Max Etchemendy 10/1/01 4:01 p.m.
                       my 2¢Alfred Mordeir 10/1/01 5:29 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.