/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: More Halo backstory details
Posted By: Brian DubickDate: 8/3/01 8:39 a.m.

In Response To: Re: More Halo backstory details (Inverted Sock Puppet)

: 1. FTL drives. The poem mentions nothing

: I'm not just talking about the poem but all the halo information we have. I
: mean wasn't there something about the pillar of autumn dropping out of
: hyperspace somewhere (maybe not)

Absolutely. The humans must have FTL drives in Halo, or else you could never have lead the Covenant out to the Halo... it'd have taken you a thousand years to get there.

: If teleporters are only used for emergencies then why were escape pods used
: to get everyone off the PoA and not telepoters. A spaceship blowing up
: sounds like an emergency.

Maybe they didn't have the range. Before Durandal took over on the Marathon, teleporters were only ever used to get around the ship, not to go down to the planet (you were on a shuttle at the beginning). And they needed a telepad at both ends. Also, a ship on the verge of blowing up might not have the extra power to spare for teleporters. And if you're in the middle of space, where would you teleport to? You'd be drinking vacuum. Better to have an escape pod, which would have air and food and whatnot.

: If energy weapons are so unstable then why is that all that the Covenant use?

Perhaps they have the scientific know-how to make theirs a bit better. Or maybe that's all they've ever used. Their science might have developed (or been stolen) along different lines... developing energy weapons before projectile weapons.

Personally, I've never been all that impressed with energy weapons in most scifi. They usually have horrible rate-of-fire (and r.o.f. is the most important thing in real-life combat). I'd rather have a modern-day assault rifle than a Star Trek phaser that you have to sit still and hold on your target for like three seconds. :P About the only scifi energy weapons I'd ever want to use (besides the Marathon Fusion pistol, of course!) are the "Star Wars" blaster, the "Farscape" pulse rifle, and the purple-shooting gun from "Terminator".

From what I've read about Halo, the Covenant weapons will overheat from overuse, so they're not necessarily better...

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

More Halo backstory detailsHamish Sinclair 7/30/01 10:35 p.m.
     Re: More Halo backstory detailselethiomel 8/1/01 2:05 a.m.
           Good pointsHamish Sinclair 8/1/01 8:37 a.m.
           Re: More Halo backstory detailsSon of Grd'nl 8/1/01 10:44 a.m.
                 Re: More Halo backstory detailsBrian Dubick 8/1/01 12:12 p.m.
                       Re: More Halo backstory detailsInverted Sock Puppet 8/1/01 10:34 p.m.
                             Re: More Halo backstory detailsTynskel 8/2/01 2:41 a.m.
                                   Re: More Halo backstory detailsInverted Sock Puppet 8/3/01 1:03 a.m.
                                         Re: More Halo backstory detailsBrian Dubick 8/3/01 8:39 a.m.
                                               Re: More Halo backstory detailsREB 8/3/01 12:35 p.m.
                                                     Re: More Halo backstory detailsHamish Sinclair 8/3/01 1:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: More Halo backstory detailsREB 8/3/01 2:20 p.m.
           Re: More Halo backstory detailsNeutronBomb 8/2/01 4:19 p.m.
                 Re: More Halo backstory detailsSon of Grd'nl 8/2/01 5:56 p.m.
                       Re: More Halo backstory detailsAdmiral Tfear 8/3/01 9:44 a.m.
                 Re: More Halo backstory detailsNeutronBomb 8/3/01 6:43 p.m.
           Re: More Halo backstory detailsseptimus 8/3/01 10:50 a.m.
           Re: More Halo backstory detailsMatrixx 9/13/03 11:02 p.m.
                 Re: More Halo backstory detailsKillJoy 9/14/03 1:53 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.