/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers -- The Rose, Vidmaster's Oath, more
Posted By: William SpencerDate: 7/31/01 3:16 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteers -- The Rose, Vidmaster's Oath, more... (Grasshopper)

I tried to save the Bobs on this level, partly because I don't want to waste the ammo killing them, partly because I've always sympathized with the bit actors in sci-fi movies. The poor crewmen on Star Trek, who die like flies...and who die even faster if they mention that they have a name and a family. ("Why, Ensign Smith! How's the wife?" "Fine, sir! *ZAP* Arrgh!") The extra marines in Aliens. The storm troopers and rebel soldiers in Star Wars. The guy driving a truck down the lonely country road when the Martians land. The soldiers in all those war movies. The folks in a murder mystery who live and die off camera just to give charming elderly ladies an interesting mental puzzle, never giving us a chance to find out whether they deserved it or not. All those poor nameless, faceless souls who exist solely to make the heros look good.

I digress.

This might be neck-and-neck with Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap, when it comes to strange level design. Maybe the UE architects were frustrated sculpters or botanists or something.

That's one strange looking secret room. TWO strange looking secret rooms. I just discovered that it's kind of tricky punching purple fighters when you keep bouncing up and down on those raised floor sections - you slow down momentarily when you hit the step.

Funny how Leela lets you all off the hook when you folks go cornering Bobs and killing them with your bare hands. She doesn't really seem to care either way...

I do like the set up of that first area - where you look down out of the window and see all the hulks and fighters and bobs. When the M1A1 folks get done with their conversion, this would be a good room (actually, a great level) for multiplayer coop - each player could find one of the many windows looking down into that room and open up with their AR. "I'll save you Bob!...oops." The rest of the level may look strange, but that room looks fairly realistic.

And the "petals" of the flower are kind of nice, with the raised central area and the ability to move continuously around the room. Shoot the hulks, back up, shoot 'em some more, back up some more...

I can't say much in favor of the interior design of Marathon, though. Soviet Russia had nothing on the U.E. when it comes to depressing residential areas. Exposed concrete and sheet metal everywhere, huge clunky "people mover" elevators, dim lighting. (No furniture. :) ) Yeeccchhh. Who would want to live in a place like this?

In general, some good if uneven flow-through on this level; it could almost work as a head-to-head net level. Almost.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers -- The Rose7revor Smith 7/31/01 10:59 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers -- The RoseSidoh 7/31/01 11:21 a.m.
           Volunteers -- The Rose, Vidmaster's Oath, more...Grasshopper 7/31/01 2:19 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers -- The Rose, Vidmaster's Oath, moreWilliam Spencer 7/31/01 3:16 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers -- The Rose, Vidmaster's Oath, moreMark Levin 8/1/01 8:18 a.m.
           Ketchup Bug7revor Smith 7/31/01 3:36 p.m.
                 Re: Ketchup BugSidoh 7/31/01 5:16 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers -- The RoseMark Levin 7/31/01 8:41 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.