/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers -- Defend THIS!
Posted By: LocuciousDate: 7/29/01 3:24 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteers -- Defend THIS! (7revor Smith)

Ah, yes, this level. I've always been a fan of this one. The first puzzle always bugged me when I first played (I was too ignorant to examine the map in the terminal and see that there was a secret exit), and I died many a time in the slow crusher. The pfhor standing in little nooks after you go through the door is a good touch, and forces the player to learn how to look up and down. The ammo cache is handy for those who burn money and those playing on TC, but to others it's pretty worthless. (I'm going through on MD) The next rooms, with that blazing streak across the middle, always made me think how bizarre the spaceship is. I always squint going through that room. I made a pitstop this time around and read Tycho's secret term. Poor thing, he was right about the pfhor cracking his core like a nut.

A few pfhor-in-the-hallways later, you come to that bridge. First time I was there, it really pfhreaked me. I whipped out my MA-75 and burned ammo like mad. Now, though, it's all old hat. Next is the very educational rampancy term. "The persuit of thrashedness" is rather out of place, but very typical Bungie.

Next is the big room with the defense drones. This is, for some reason, one of my favorite scenes in the whole game. Just rush in there and BLAM BLAM BLAM... Seeing drones and compilers engage in a fight, shoot up to the ceiling, and watching as the compiler turns to static always struck me as very gratifying. Flip the switch and continue.

I never liked the next two switch puzzles. They only require hitting one or two switches, making one's first confused attempt seem wasted. Then, run through The Crushers™ and into the next room. Open the door, beat the pfhor, smash the compiler, input the chip. (x3) Back through The Crushers™ and you're done.

I love the way this level is set up. Just run one place to the next, accomplishing goals. Many memorable moments as well; 3 of my most-remembered rooms from Marathon are in this level.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers -- Defend THIS!7revor Smith 7/29/01 9:20 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers -- Defend THIS!Mark Levin 7/29/01 10:51 a.m.
           Re: Volunteers -- Defend THIS!William Spencer 7/29/01 12:09 p.m.
                 Re: Volunteers -- Defend THIS!Hamish Sinclair 7/29/01 1:27 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers -- Defend THIS!Hamish Sinclair 7/29/01 1:30 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers -- Defend THIS!Hamish Sinclair 7/29/01 1:21 p.m.
     Re: Volunteers -- Defend THIS!Locucious 7/29/01 3:24 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.