/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteers: My Own Private Thermopylae
Posted By: GholsbaneDate: 6/11/03 12:41 p.m.

In Response To: Volunteers: My Own Private Thermopylae (Mark Levin)

I'm pretty sure there's an expression "my own private Waterloo". The battle of Waterloo was the climactic battle in the Napoleonic Wars in which the Duke of Wellington and the 7th coalition (Britain, Austria, Russia and Prussia) defeated Napoleon Bonaparte near Brussels.

I believe the expression refers to an endless personal battle or struggle that seems unsolvable. This could also relate to Durandal's secret message on this level. It appears that he was somehow struggling for resurrection at this time. In his incapacitated state, he sends the marine this message to give us hope and warning in the pivotal stage of our mission to uncover the mystery of L'howon. The change to Thermopylae may be a reference to the Icarus-Thermopylae war of 2194 that Durandal was possibly involved in.

This also links MOPT to the first level of Marathon 2, Waterloo Waterpark. I can't order any concrete theories around this but I thought I'd throw some ideas out there.

Cheers

Don't desecrate the shrine of b'Y'laggo

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteers: My Own Private ThermopylaeMark Levin 10/28/01 10:56 a.m.
     Re: Volunteers: My Own Private ThermopylaeGholsbane 6/11/03 12:41 p.m.
           Re: Volunteers: My Own Private ThermopylaeGrasshopper 6/12/03 3:20 a.m.
                 Re: Volunteers: My Own Private ThermopylaeGholsbane 6/12/03 5:25 a.m.
                       Re: Volunteers: My Own Private ThermopylaeGrasshopper 6/12/03 10:46 a.m.
           Re: Volunteers: My Own Private ThermopylaeVaxuum BOB 6/12/03 10:37 p.m.
                 Shoulden't it be Thermopylæ *NM*darakat 6/13/03 3:28 p.m.
                       Re: Shouldn't it be, like, SHOULDN'T? :p *NM*ukimalefu 6/13/03 5:29 p.m.
                             When will the forum sport a spell-checker? *NM*Steve Levinson 6/14/03 8:16 a.m.
                                   After we get a Story Page search engine *NM*Gholsbane 6/14/03 9:48 a.m.
                                         When you use a Cocoa-based browser :P *NM*Mark Levin 6/14/03 11:27 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.