/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Half-Life Novelization Project
Posted By: LocuciousDate: 7/12/01 5:53 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Half-Life Novelization Project (7revor Smith)

: I even remember reading about a doom movie... HA! Marathon just isn't popular
: enough to attract the attention of a producer. Even if it was made into
: a movie, the script would probably be some bastardized piece of S'pht that
: doesn't even grasp Marathon's story in the least. Well, maybe if a real
: Marathon fan wrote it... But that's beyond the point, the chances any
: script going anywhere but the trash would be very slim. Nobody in
: Hollywood really cares about story anymore...

Alas, too true. Story is a rare commodity nowadays, which is one of the reasons I'm still a Marathon fan.

A novel is possible; a movie isn't ever going to happen. The Descent novels (my other favorite video game series) were very loosely based around the Descent storyline, in order to make them feasible. They had to add quite a few elements; gameplay doesn't exist in novels, only story.

Marathon has plenty of story to go around, but using it would be difficult. Because the marine is the main character, an author would have to work extremely hard to get the reader to get inside the marine's head (so the story can be used). That would require the marine to be given emotion, a personality, etc. It would be really tricky.

But why am I even bothering, Bungie would never let us use the rights to Marathon.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Half-Life Novelization ProjectLoren Petrich 7/12/01 1:28 a.m.
     Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectMark Levin 7/12/01 6:10 a.m.
           Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectJohannes Gunnar 7/12/01 2:10 p.m.
                 Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectFrankie Meatballs 7/12/01 3:00 p.m.
                       Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectREB 7/12/01 5:35 p.m.
                       Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectForGreatJustice 7/12/01 7:14 p.m.
                             Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectFrankie Meatballs 7/12/01 8:08 p.m.
                                   OMG 7R0LL!Andrew Nagy 7/13/01 4:46 a.m.
                 Re: Half-Life Novelization Project7revor Smith 7/12/01 3:02 p.m.
                       Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectLocucious 7/12/01 5:53 p.m.
                             Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectForGreatJustice 7/12/01 7:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectAndrew Nagy 7/13/01 4:49 a.m.
                 Re: Half-Life Novelization ProjectAndrew Nagy 7/12/01 7:10 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon MovieTyrandir 7/14/01 6:00 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon MovieAndrew Nagy 7/15/01 4:09 p.m.
     The Webmaster Has Already Discussed This MatterSoapstone 7/12/01 10:51 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.