/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Timeline, Bob, and You
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 1/17/03 6:28 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The Timeline, Bob, and You (DonPistola)

: I'm not so sure about that. Check out how slowly the player falls. They
: surely did have some form of artificial gravity, as you said- but they
: may not have felt the need to make the gravity as strong as that on
: Earth. Of course, the "low gravity" effect may just have been put there
: by Bungie to compensate for the lack of a "jump" function. I don't
: know.

Yes, I think you're right about the gravity being less on the Marathon than 1G. This fits with the observed physics during play, and it's quite different from M2 and Moo. Gravity on the Pfhor ship is even less. Perhaps the strongest argment for why the gravity on the Marathon would be less than 1G is that it was peopled by "martians." Whereas earthlings could adapt readily to the low gravity environment of Mars, the reverse is not true. It would make much more sense to set the Marathon's artificial gravity to that of Mars than that of Earth. Please, someone look this up, but I think that that would be around .6G? Of course, who knows what the gravity at Tau Ceti would be, so the Marathon may have slowly adapted its gravity field to match it during the long journey there.

Now the nature of artificial gravity has about as much grounding in real science as teleportation or FTL transport. In other words, the only way to generate artificial gravity based on known physical principles would be by rotation or by continous linear acceleration. The latter would be practical while in transit to Tau Ceti, but not once the Marathon had arrived. Thus rotation would be the most practical way to induce artificial gravity, but "centrifugal" gravity has very different physics than planetary gravity. Putting aside the fact that the exterior view out the Marathon's windows does not rotate (probably as much due to the limitations of the graphics engine as anything), if the Marathon were spinning, whenever the marine's feet leave the "ground", he would be subjected to an angular acceleration that would tend to curve his trajectory. We certainly don't observe this during game play. Therefore, the Marathon's artificial gravity field must use an as yet unknown technology based on unknown physical principles.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/9/03 9:54 a.m.
     Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouSteve Levinson 1/9/03 10:50 a.m.
           Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/9/03 11:06 a.m.
                 Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouSteve Levinson 1/9/03 11:43 a.m.
                       Steve is wrong! OK, I lied - he's right. *NM*poena.dare #CP# 1/9/03 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/9/03 12:18 p.m.
                             Re: The Timeline, Bob, and Youpoena.dare #CP# 1/9/03 12:53 p.m.
                                   Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/9/03 5:20 p.m.
                                         Re: The Timeline, Bob, and Youpoena.dare #CP# 1/9/03 11:09 p.m.
                                               Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/10/03 4:12 a.m.
                                                     Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouCybergeek 1/10/03 7:55 p.m.
                                                           Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/11/03 7:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouCybergeek 1/12/03 4:57 p.m.
                                               Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/10/03 5:05 a.m.
                                                     Re: The Timeline, Bob, and Youpoena.dare #CP# 1/10/03 8:39 a.m.
                                                           Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/10/03 9:34 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The Timeline, Bob, and Youpoena.dare #CP# 1/10/03 10:23 a.m.
                             Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouSneakyPete 1/16/03 5:49 p.m.
                                   Just because i'm boredTodd 1/17/03 2:08 a.m.
                                         Re: Just because i'm boredFinnigan 1/17/03 4:48 a.m.
                                               Re: Just because i'm boredTodd 1/17/03 2:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: Just because i'm boredYossarian 1/17/03 2:50 p.m.
                                                           Re: Just because i'm boredCybergeek 1/17/03 3:04 p.m.
                                               Re: Just because i'm boredCybergeek 1/17/03 3:01 p.m.
                                   Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouDonPistola 1/17/03 2:35 a.m.
                                         Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/17/03 4:43 a.m.
                                         Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouSteve Levinson 1/17/03 6:28 a.m.
                                               Re: The Timeline, Bob, and Youpoena.dare #CP# 1/17/03 7:35 a.m.
                       Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouCojiro 1/14/03 7:31 p.m.
                 Re: The Timeline, Bob, and Youpoena.dare #CP# 1/9/03 11:45 a.m.
     Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouSteve Levinson 1/9/03 11:51 a.m.
           Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/9/03 12:12 p.m.
                 Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouTru7h 1/9/03 1:08 p.m.
                       Re: The Timeline, Bob, and YouFinnigan 1/9/03 5:26 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.