/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Durandal's first return to earth
Posted By: poena.dare #CP#Date: 1/14/03 8:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Durandal's first return to earth (Tru7h)

: Leela squwering of her dates confuses and delays the phor assault on earth

Yes, I hope! ;)

While writing my dissertation on Bernard and the 3 AIs, I came across something disturbing... very disturbing.

While poking about looking for information on Tau Ceti, I came across Loren Petrich's page at http://www.petrich.com/games/marathon/tc_more.html.

Note this quote:

Yet if most of those 17 years were spent examining those stars to see if Lh'owon is present, then it would take about a day per star.

But let's consider what would happen if the Boomer had taken 17 years to reach the Galactic core. From the above distance to there, its cruising speed works out to be 1500 c.

And if Durandal had taken only a year to do all his traveling, however, the Boomer would have had a cruising speed of 60,000 c, yielding only 2 hours from Tau Ceti to the Sun, passing Antares in 4 days, and going from Lh'owon to the Galactic center in 14 hours.

In a nutshell, depending on whether Durandal went straight to the core and then spent 17 years looking for Lh'owon or spent 17 years getting to the core, searching stars all the way - the Boomer would have a speed of 60,000 to 1,500 times the speed of light.

First, this means that Durandal would have to return to Earth right away to teach them to make warp missiles - Earth was defenseless and the Pfhor were too damned close.

What's even more bothersome is that while the Pfhor were nuking Tau Ceti down to bedrock don't you think someone would have noticed these lightspeed messages that are coming to Tau Ceti from Earth? ("Hey guys, how's the colony doing?")

I mean, if the Phror wanted to go to Earth from Tau Ceti it would only take them a day to get there at the most!

The only explanation I can come up with is that the Pfhor were so insecure about Durandal running around they decided to drop everything and go look for him.

Otherwise, I see no reason they wouldn't have immediately moved to Earth and either nuked the place or enslaved the planet.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Durandal's first return to earthSteve Levinson 1/10/03 10:45 a.m.
     Re: Durandal's first return to earthpoena.dare #CP# 1/10/03 12:32 p.m.
           Re: Durandal's first return to earthSteve Levinson 1/10/03 2:14 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal's first return to earth.. And stuffpoena.dare #CP# 1/10/03 3:40 p.m.
                       Re: Durandal's first return to earth.. And stuffOfficer 19502 1/13/03 3:45 a.m.
                             Re: Durandal's first return to earth.. And stuffSteve Levinson 1/13/03 9:33 a.m.
                                   Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thought?Officer 19502 1/14/03 4:32 a.m.
                                         Re: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thoupoena.dare #CP# 1/14/03 4:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thouOfficer 19502 1/15/03 3:08 a.m.
                                         Re: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thouCybergeek 1/14/03 9:51 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal's first return to earthCybergeek 1/10/03 7:29 p.m.
           Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/12/03 1:38 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal's first return to earthCybergeek 1/12/03 4:31 p.m.
                       Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/13/03 4:14 a.m.
                             Re: Durandal's first return to earthCybergeek 1/13/03 7:03 p.m.
                                   Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/14/03 5:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Durandal's first return to earthpoena.dare #CP# 1/14/03 8:14 a.m.
                                               Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/14/03 4:42 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.