/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thou
Posted By: poena.dare #CP#Date: 1/14/03 4:51 a.m.

In Response To: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thought? (Officer 19502)

: Firstly, why did Durandal try to kill us before we even reached the Marathon,
: if he was still following Bernhard's orders?
: That one is simple. Bernhard wanted us out of the way.

Sigh. Durandal was never trying to kill you, the cyborg. Well, at least overtly, that is:

Matthew Smith <matthew@quest.net> writes:

You ask in the Durandal section: Why does Durandal attempt to kill you as approach the Marathon in the Shuttle Mirata?

My answer:

He's not. Durandal knew that you were about to get fried, even before the Pfhor had popped in and made you get out of the shuttle.

Matthew refers to the following text in the Marathon manual:

decompress the docking bay

During the daydream, you barely notice the change to zero gravity or the instruments and lights signifying the rendezvous of the shuttle with the Marathon. But as a warning light goes on, and Durandal's voice comes over the communicator, you jump to attention.

"Docking bay one: decompression completed. Mirata this is Durandal, abort landing. Repeat. Abort landing," a faint chuckle. A chuckle which means that something has gone horribly wrong.

Immediately, your reflexes take over, as you fall into automatic response mode. You hit the switch for open communication, "Colony station, Durandal just decompressed the landing bay. Marathon, anyone listening, we are having a problem with Docking Bay one. It's Durandal, I think he's gone..." the com light goes dead "...crazy."

ORDER- Lock out communications between the colony and the Shuttle- ORDER- cycle the shuttle airlock

You look frantically around the control panel for some explanation when you see another light on the panel turn red. The sweet voice of the shuttle computer twerps, "Shuttle airlock cycle initiation sequence start-"

Cycle the Mirata cabin's inner door.

"-One minute to cabin decompression."
"Goddamn it!" You slam your fist in frustration onto the control board, leaving a dent. In a panic, you tear off your seat restraints and leap for the rear of the shuttle cabin. "Forty seconds to cabin decompression." You are rushing now, but you know that you have plenty of time.
You fly in zero gravity towards the locker holding your Battle Armor. You haven't worn it since you had to hunt down some Chockisens which were harassing the work teams on the fringe of the colony, almost three years ago, but training is something that you never forget. It's funny, but you've always been the colony's trouble shooter. You're bigger and stronger, and a better shot. In games, you always scored the most points and looked the hero. And now, it looks as if you're heading right into the colony's biggest crisis since it was established seven years ago.

You nimbly pull yourself into the suit- "Thirty seconds to cabin decompression" - and pull the helmet onto your head.

ORDER- Prepare the shuttle for maximum engine burn.
But that will result in a collision between the Marathon and the Mirata.
That is not your concern, - ORDER- Prepare shuttle for maximum burn, and initiate when ready.

Marathon Manual pages 2-3)

Matthew writes:

Consider:

decompress the docking bay

- a place for you to go, but still a "normal" command that would be executed before a docking maneuver.

Mirata this is Durandal, abort landing. Repeat. Abort landing

- to wake you up

ORDER- Lock out communications between the colony and the Shuttle

- so you wouldn't waste time trying to explain the situation to the colony

ORDER- cycle the shuttle airlock Cycle the Mirata cabin's inner door.

- to get you moving (and into your Battle Armor) [Hamish]

ORDER- Prepare the shuttle for maximum engine burn.

- to provide a target to distract the Pfhor

He wanted you to live! If he wanted you to die why would he have tipped his hand and issued the order to abort the landing? He could have opened the airlock right away, one would think. And why would Durandal need to REPEAT the abort landing order? Was the shuttle Mirata hard of hearing, or was he trying to get your attention?

Matthew's interpretation is indeed valid. How else could Durandal get you into your "Battle Armor" and into the Mirata's Maneuvering Pod in less than one minute.

Of course you may prefer to believe that he would say something like:

Hello Mr. Security Officer. I'm sorry to interrupt your daydream but we've got a problem. The Marathon has been boarded by hoardes of aliens and I think you need to throw on your battle armor and get off the Mirata pronto because I've just intercepted a communication which states that an alien spacefighter is about to be teleported in to destroy the Mirata.

If Durandal's actions prior to the attack on the Shuttle Mirata by the alien spacefighter were designed to actually save you from the attack why does Durandal then go on to say:

That little computer always did have impeccable timing. I wonder if I should let the Aliens know that you aren't just space debris? Hmmmnn...

(Marathon Manual page 3)

and also:

Ah, lucky you. I've found a new distraction. I am going to play with the Alien virtual parasites. I'll look you up when you arrive..."

(Marathon Manual page 3)

Matthew offers the following explanation:

That little computer always did have impeccable timing. - means that little computer saved your butt by firing it's engines right on time.

I wonder if I should let the Aliens know that you aren't just space debris? Hmmmnn... - Usual Durandal sarcasm.

Ah, lucky you. I've found a new distraction. I am going to play with the Alien virtual parasites. I'll look you up when you arrive... - I think it's like saying, "Tell Leela I'm playing with the bad guys and she'll have to defend the ship herself. And tell her, too, that I will be borrowing one slightly used cyborg later to do some dirty work.

-- Durandal (Part Two)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Durandal's first return to earthSteve Levinson 1/10/03 10:45 a.m.
     Re: Durandal's first return to earthpoena.dare #CP# 1/10/03 12:32 p.m.
           Re: Durandal's first return to earthSteve Levinson 1/10/03 2:14 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal's first return to earth.. And stuffpoena.dare #CP# 1/10/03 3:40 p.m.
                       Re: Durandal's first return to earth.. And stuffOfficer 19502 1/13/03 3:45 a.m.
                             Re: Durandal's first return to earth.. And stuffSteve Levinson 1/13/03 9:33 a.m.
                                   Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thought?Officer 19502 1/14/03 4:32 a.m.
                                         Re: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thoupoena.dare #CP# 1/14/03 4:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thouOfficer 19502 1/15/03 3:08 a.m.
                                         Re: Was Bernhard pulling more strings than we thouCybergeek 1/14/03 9:51 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal's first return to earthCybergeek 1/10/03 7:29 p.m.
           Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/12/03 1:38 p.m.
                 Re: Durandal's first return to earthCybergeek 1/12/03 4:31 p.m.
                       Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/13/03 4:14 a.m.
                             Re: Durandal's first return to earthCybergeek 1/13/03 7:03 p.m.
                                   Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/14/03 5:17 a.m.
                                         Re: Durandal's first return to earthpoena.dare #CP# 1/14/03 8:14 a.m.
                                               Re: Durandal's first return to earthTru7h 1/14/03 4:42 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.