/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :P
Posted By: Vid BoiDate: 12/30/02 6:05 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :P (Max Etchemendy)

: This is unbelievably awesome, Vid Boi. So, what's the grammar like? I'd love
: to see what you have.

Here it is so far:

I basically started by doing what Tasnu Arakun did in the post below, only not on my own text but on the S'pht clan names and the words/sentences "K'liah'Narhl" and "S'ct'lac'tr". The only diphthongs in all those words are ia and oa, and they are never in the middle of a word, they end words. I think they are mostly used in names.

The letter H does seem a bit strange, I think its function is to change the pronounciation/behaviour of the preceding letter but I'm not really sure about what it really does. But it was added to K'lia in "K'liah'Narhl" because a vowel can't be followed by an apostrophe.

Nouns are in general short, and begin with a single consonant followed by an apostrophe. So "vengeance" is actually N'arhl only the apostrophe is moved a step to the left in "K'liah'Narhl" because:

Combining two words with an apostrophe is like Japanese "no" which means sort of "of". blah'yadda (or blah no yadda in Japanese :P ) would mean "yadda of blah". But one single consonant surrounded by apostrophes looks silly. See: "K'liah'N'arhl". So the original apostrophe was removed.

After discovering (or rather assuming) that, it looked like "S'ct'lac'tr" could mean something so I created vocabulary from it.

S'ct - n, enemy
L'ac - n, death
C'tr - n, disease

If you combine them as above you get S'ct'lac'ctr ("disease of death of enemy", or "virus that kills pfhor" :P ), but one C is removed because two of the same consonants can't be next to each other, with some exceptions (Yrro).

After that things got a bit less detailed because I wanted to go to sleep.

But verbs (which begin with a consonant, an apostrophe and after that often a vowel) are conjugated by adding a vowel to the word, "i" for past, "a" for present, "o" for future and "u" for past when talking about something that could have happened but did not. Verbs can also be created from nouns by adding "arhl" which I did with my home-made word T'ra - (hatred) -> T'rarhl (to hate)

Adjectives start with a consonant and most often no apostrophe. Many adjectives were originally created from nouns and verbs by removing the apostrophe, for example Ktra (brutal) from K'trarhl (fight). (That the word for fight ends in "arhl" is a coincidence, it was not created from a noun the way I talk about somewhere earlier.) Some nouns and adjectives are therefore created by adding an apostrophe to the original, adjective form of the word. Adjectives are written after the noun they refer to, and combined with apostrophes the way I also mention somewhere earlier :P

Like in Japanese, S'pht probably has different numerical words (or whatever it's called) when just counting and when counting objects. (OK, Japanese has a hundred, but S'pht only has two.) One of them I haven't thought of because I was basically creating grammar in order to translate that short text, since it contains a lot of basic grammar. =)

So when counting objects, letters are added to the nouns to incidate how many there are.

1 rk
2 tr
3 lha
4 nr
5 ct
6 kn
7 shr
8 mn
9 pht
10 bhu

They are also combined with apostrophes. "S'pht'kter'k" - "One clan of the S'pht"...

R'ar means "and" and is used with spaces (blah r'ar yadda - "blah and yadda") however if it is within a word combination as above, it is treated like a noun. (blah'rar'yadda'blip means "blip of blah and yadda")

"Rhl" - "in", is used as a single word, with spaces, unless inside a word combination: S'pht'rhl'racn'ktr = "The power (?pain) of the S'pht in war"

By the way, the word "the" doesn't exist, it's not really necessary and just messes things up. So S'pht can both mean S'pht and The S'pht, you'll have to interpret that from context.

Finally, I put together some words in order to translate that text. I made them by making a chart of which letters can follow a certain letter, according to Bungie's words and names. Here it is (an asterisk means the character can end a word)

A: r, l, c, *
R: r, o, a, k, (h)l, *
T: h, e, r, (h)a, *
L: i, o, (h)a, a, *
N: m, r, c, t, a, *
C: a, t, n, *
I: a, r, c
K: r, a, n, t
O: w, n, a, r, *
S: (h)r
Y: r, o
M: a, n
P: (h)t, t(h)
V: i, a
F: none
W: o
U: t
E: r
B: (h)u
J: i

The higher up in the chart, the more common the letter is (at least in Bungie's words & names)

Then I started with a random letter and found my way to a huge number of words, from which I sorted out the ones that didn't sound good or didn't sound S'pht or weren't linguistically beautiful compared to the words Bungie created. Here is the full vocabulary as it looks right now:

C'tr - n, disease
K'ter - n, clan / royalty / mind
K'tr - a, powerful / painful OR n, power / pain (related to C'tr, disease)
Ktra - a, brutal
K'tra - a, reclusive / soliraty / alone / lonely / lonesome
K'trarhl - v, to fight (smaller fights) (note that this is not a verb created from K'tr!)
L'ac - n, death
L'o - "when" ("when" I shot him)
L'or - a, reclusive / soliraty / alone / lonely / lonesome
L'orhl - once (shoot him "once")
N'arhl - n, vengeance
R'acn - n, war or combat / damage / sarcasm
R'ar - and
R'aracth - v, to fight (used about massive fights, wars)
Rhl - in (literally or figurative)
S'ct - n, enemy
T'orknctha - to burn
T'ra - n, hatred
Tract - a, abandoned
T'ract - v, to abandon
T'rarhl - v, to hate
T'rhl - once ("once" upon a time)
Trk - a, vile / ugly
T'rk - n, ugliness
T'rka - n, tissue
T'ro - "when" ("when" did that happen?)
T'ror - n, anyone / "one" OR a, average

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

S'pht & Pfhor languagesVid Boi 12/29/02 9:50 a.m.
     Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesAgent Shem 12/29/02 10:05 a.m.
     Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesHamish Sinclair 12/29/02 10:13 a.m.
           Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesVid Boi 12/29/02 11:57 a.m.
                 Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesVid Boi 12/29/02 12:09 p.m.
                       Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesVid Boi 12/29/02 12:15 p.m.
           Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesTodd 12/29/02 6:03 p.m.
     Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesZeus 12/29/02 11:44 a.m.
     Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesHamburgerBoy 12/29/02 1:02 p.m.
     Re: S'pht & Pfhor languagesVid Boi 12/29/02 3:08 p.m.
     The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :PVid Boi 12/29/02 4:20 p.m.
           Very very cool...Agent Shem 12/29/02 4:47 p.m.
           Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :P•M 12/29/02 7:38 p.m.
                 Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :PMax Etchemendy 12/30/02 2:06 a.m.
                       Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :PSteve Levinson 12/30/02 6:03 a.m.
           Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :PMax Etchemendy 12/30/02 2:08 a.m.
                 Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :PVid Boi 12/30/02 6:05 a.m.
                       S'Pht NumbersSteve Levinson 12/30/02 9:14 a.m.
                             Re: S'Pht NumbersSteve Levinson 12/31/02 4:51 a.m.
                                   Re: S'Pht NumbersMax Etchemendy 12/31/02 11:02 a.m.
                                         S'pht Writing, Numerical and Otherwisepoena.dare #CP# 1/1/03 11:02 a.m.
                       Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :PTru7h 12/30/02 4:25 p.m.
           Re: The little Esperanto of Bungie fans :PTasnu Arakun 12/30/02 2:38 a.m.
     Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Steve Levinson 12/30/02 6:18 a.m.
           Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 12/30/02 9:41 a.m.
                 Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 12/30/02 1:01 p.m.
           Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Yossarian 12/30/02 3:56 p.m.
                 Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 12/31/02 12:53 a.m.
                       Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 12/31/02 1:06 a.m.
                             Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?ukimalefu 12/31/02 8:51 a.m.
                                   Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Steve Levinson 12/31/02 10:22 a.m.
                                         Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 12/31/02 10:37 a.m.
                                               Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Yossarian 12/31/02 11:53 a.m.
                                                     Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Steve Levinson 12/31/02 12:11 p.m.
                                                           Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 12/31/02 12:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Yossarian 12/31/02 1:44 p.m.
                                                                 Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?SneakyPete 1/1/03 9:11 p.m.
                                                                       Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 1/2/03 1:47 a.m.
                                                                       Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Yossarian 1/2/03 4:57 p.m.
                                                                             Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Max Etchemendy 1/2/03 7:50 p.m.
                                         Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?ukimalefu 1/1/03 11:37 p.m.
           Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Vid Boi 12/31/02 2:41 p.m.
                 Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Steve Levinson 1/1/03 8:00 a.m.
                       Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?Hamish Sinclair 1/1/03 8:33 a.m.
                             Re: S'pht & Pfhor languages - do S'Pht Speak?DonPistola 1/1/03 12:35 p.m.
                                   Auugh! I'm replying to my own post!DonPistola 1/1/03 2:26 p.m.
     OK, Vid Boi...poena.dare #CP# 12/30/02 12:25 p.m.
           Agreed! *NM*Steve Levinson 12/31/02 5:01 a.m.
     Update!Vid Boi 12/31/02 3:50 p.m.
           Webpage!Vid Boi 12/31/02 5:47 p.m.
           Re: Update!Aaron Davies 1/2/03 7:31 p.m.
                 Re: Update!Vid Boi 1/3/03 3:50 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.