/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Bungieverse is cohesive
Posted By: Agent ShemDate: 7/14/02 2:30 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Mac/PC Halo announced! (archon)

: Well, ok, fine, I agree that the Marathon story is good, that's why we're
: here, right? But oni really didn't have any connection to the Marathon
: universe other than the symbol and maybe another obscure references that
: I'm forgetting at the moment. 8^O

Huh? What symbol? I missed it, I think. =^( But what about the deadly brain? That was probably both the beginnings of the Battleroid and the AI. Remember that Shinaitama was a robot, but at the end she was used for an experimental deadly brain. The AI of the SLD brain had advanced to the point of human-level conciousness by the time the game was over. (Oni 2: Traxus)

And Konoko was a cyborg of sorts. Not only in the fact that she had direct link-up to Shinaitama implanted in her head. She was built with a custom DNA. I call that a cyborg. But Oni was also rife with cyborgs. Barabas and his minions, the Elites. Then there's the Tankers, who are robots that are very lifelike.

And the deadly brain was used with the brains of dead cops. Sound familiar? Battleroids in Marathon were made with dead soldiers.

And then there's the Wold Coalition Government. As proved by the United States in the late 18th century, a confederacy could easily turn into a federation. Thus the transition from WCG to UEG.

Granted, it's not immediately obvious, but we're talking about 600 years between the timelines of the two. For us, 600 years ago was 1400. They were just inventing guns then. Would someone from 1400 understand our world at all? We would probably think the poor time-screwed sap was from another planet (in a sense, he is). So there's plenty of leeway in the Bungie games because the time is so wide, but there's still a common thread.

I'm sure there's more if we think about them. I'm anxious to play Halo and start looking for my favorite mythos. For starters, in Halo you play the last-surviving cyborg holding back an oppressive alien force. Halo 2: Cortana (ie, Thrash the Covenant)? Halo Infinity: The Convenant Really Screwed Up and You Have to Fix it with the Help of the Forerunner Who is Really the Jjaro? ;^)

Shemu

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Mac/PC Halo announced!Rincewind MoG 7/12/02 12:03 p.m.
     Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!The Joe 7/12/02 12:28 p.m.
           Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Johannes Gunnar 7/12/02 1:14 p.m.
                 Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!REB 7/12/02 3:55 p.m.
                       Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Gh™lsbane 7/12/02 4:07 p.m.
                       Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Boomer 7/12/02 4:29 p.m.
     Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Agent Shem 7/12/02 1:39 p.m.
     Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Dan Aris 7/12/02 3:26 p.m.
           Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Johannes Gunnar 7/12/02 5:02 p.m.
                 Re: Mac/PC Halo announced! *NM*D-M.A. 7/13/02 12:28 a.m.
                       OoopsD-M.A. 7/13/02 12:30 a.m.
     YAAAAAAAY!!!Vid Boi 7/12/02 7:08 p.m.
           Re: YAAAAAAAY!!!Inverted Sock Puppet 7/12/02 7:32 p.m.
                 Re: YAAAAAAAY!!!Jacke 7/13/02 9:08 a.m.
     Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Max Etchemendy 7/14/02 2:51 a.m.
           Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!Agent Shem 7/14/02 7:30 a.m.
                 Re: Mac/PC Halo announced!archon 7/14/02 12:14 p.m.
                       Bungieverse is cohesiveAgent Shem 7/14/02 2:30 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.