/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante III
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/25/02 8:13 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante III (Todd)

: LOL! Would that be a lethal doseage of gravity? =P

That's what I had in mind - but I think I may be wrong about this. Shame on the physicists for not catching my error!

The cause of injury from falling is rapid deceleration of the internal organs, resulting in shear stresses that damage critical structures. Your body weight really has nothing to do with this, which is why the LD50 for falling is similar for a child and an obese adult. What matters is the gravitational acceleration which, as we know, is a function of the planet's mass alone (unless your mass is of the same order of magnitude as the planet). So no matter how much Durandal loads you up with added weight, you're still going to fall with the same acceleration and land on the ground at the same speed, which will be less than than on earth for a comparable height. The force of impact will, of course, be greater, but this won't affect the rate of deceleration of your internal organs - in fact, it may help you. Put another way, if you're traveling down a highway and crash head-on into an SUV, would you rather be on a motorcycle, such that your body absorbs the full impact of the crash, or in a semi that can not only absorb some of the energy of the crash with its own deformation, but deform the SUV as well, reducing the speed of your deceleration?

In other words - go ahead, Durandall, load me up!

Sorry about the error here - the prior posts were accurate

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante IIISteve Levinson 6/5/02 9:44 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante IIIRincewind MoG 6/6/02 2:22 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante IIISteve Levinson 6/24/02 8:11 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante IIITodd 6/25/02 1:41 a.m.
                       Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante IIISteve Levinson 6/25/02 8:13 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.