/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon 4 ?
Posted By: YossarianDate: 6/3/02 1:29 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon 4 ? (Johannes Gunnar)

: We can live in hope

Err, I seriously doubt we're ever going to see a Marathon sequal freom Bungie; Halo's probably the closest we're ever going to get to that. You can't expect Bungie, MS' X-Box flagship developer to make another sequal to an 8 year old obscure game running on a rival platform...even as a side project.

I posted this soon after the buyout on the M.org future forum....I didn't feel like retyping the same idea:

----------------------------------

A scenario:

Microsoft continues or even rebuilds the Marathon story (this too has been rumored) to have to conform with certain age groups, target markets, social sensitivities and whatnot. The story would be changed completely. Not only would what we hold onto as Marathon be moot, but The Story Page and B.org would be forced to either drastically alter their content to conform to a much larger and much newer community, or remain as contradictory curios serving an outdated community dedicated to the early unheard of mac versions of Microsoft's popular new "Marathon" series.

In essence, we would become old news.

Can you imagine thousands of fair weather fans clamoring to engulf and digest the newest game-candy spewed forth by the Microsoft quality programmers who raped and pillaged the idea we knew as Marathon to make a quick buck?

Time to time there arises the discussion of "What makes Marathon so good". We can cite the gameplay, the networking, the plot, the engine, but what I always thought to be the most essential parts were A) the intrigue and B)the atmosphere of the game.

The intrigue being the tireless and enigmatic search for the Tru7h (a search not only limited to our gaming adventures in Marathon I suppose). Everybody loves a good mystery, ourselves included. The atmosphere is that of a game produced by a handful of dedicated, hard working individuals with a good sense of teamwork and the tenancity to test a game to the point of vomiting. Those two things are what make Marathon great.

Could we reasonably expect this with a Microsoft Marathon? A corporate Marathon? A Marathon designed for the sole purpose of ripping-off gullible teenaged boys who have nothing better to do than love for their precious X-Box?

We all know the answer to that.

-------------------------------

So even if Bungie "Studios" made another Marathon, would it turn out to be more blessing or curse?

I always got the impression that Bungie's release of the source code was sort of like saying "you guys know what you want, you guys do it. she's your puppy now." I mean, whats the point of making a sequal to a game in which you already gave away the source code?

Yossarian

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon 4 ?Evilvid 6/3/02 8:15 a.m.
     Re: Marathon 4 ?Jacke 6/3/02 8:46 a.m.
           Re: Marathon 4 ?Johannes Gunnar 6/3/02 9:26 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon 4 ?M-Class 6/3/02 12:57 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon 4 ?Yossarian 6/3/02 1:29 p.m.
                       [rant]Grasshopper 6/4/02 8:28 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon 4 ?Shotgun Pete 6/4/02 8:49 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon 4 ?Grasshopper 6/4/02 11:09 a.m.
                                   who dosent??Tru7h 6/4/02 2:54 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon 4 ?Simon Dupuis 6/5/02 8:54 a.m.
     Re: Marathon 4 ?Vid Boi 6/3/02 2:31 p.m.
           Re: Marathon 4 ?Johannes Gunnar 6/3/02 5:20 p.m.
           Time constraints...Miguel Chavez 6/3/02 9:30 p.m.
                 Re: Time constraints...Vid Boi 6/4/02 5:20 a.m.
                       Re: Time constraints...Mark Levin 6/4/02 10:01 a.m.
                             Re: Time constraints...Vid Boi 6/4/02 10:18 a.m.
                 Ack!mnemesis 6/4/02 10:30 a.m.
                       Re: Ack!Hamish Sinclair 6/4/02 11:16 a.m.
                       Re: Ack!Mark Levin 6/4/02 10:22 p.m.
                             Re: Ack!Tru7h 6/5/02 2:24 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.