/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Political Structures in Marathon
Posted By: YossarianDate: 5/26/02 9:14 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Political Structures in Marathon (Tru7h)

: hes fast so lets say every second he can post 20 messages.

Okay, okay, you're talking about a construct that can write 20 messages a SECOND, but can't hold a routine conversation with two people at once?

: ok ya. ill go looking

: your consent is already givin, in M2 manual they say that you blindly follow
: Durandals orders without question

No, that's like saying someone gives you consent to bash their head in with a baseball bat when they don't move out of the way fast enough.

: well ok, maybe the original leader got killed 15 seconds after he ported
: down, but in What about Bob? Durandal speaks of him as he was already the
: leader "Blake and His men" so he has taken control earlier
: enough for the military structure to stabalise itself.

We're talking about two different things here. You're trying to show me Blake's role on the Boomer and the beginning of M2 while I'm pointing out that's SINCE THERE IS NO TERMINAL TEXT WHICH GIVES THAT INFORMATION, trying to prove it is impossible. So what if Durandal says Blake is the leader early in the game, that doesn't solidify his position as second in command nor does it hint at what he could or could not do IF he even held the position.

: thus the iff, iff being, iff he was leader (probable) and iff he was awake
: (very-improbable)

Now if he's asleep, how's he going to coordinate the BoB's on Boomer as you claim he has to since Durandal lacks processing power? And don't say Durandal wakes him up early because there is nothing in the game to support that.

: just like i said second in command but with no ability to give an opinion to
: hier ups.

Again, you have no proof. All we know of what Durandal says to Blake is what Blake tells us, and his opinion of Durandal is not high enough for us to know if he's telling us everything or not.

: whens the last time your teacher had the class vote on what we will learn
: next. Dictatorship is the most efficient political structure know to man
: and thus appears in lots of places (office, home (many)). only problem is
: that power corrupts.

I see how one could view it like that, but I think that what you call a "dictatorship" is more or less general authority given to only one person in a single position, i.e. your teacher, principal, or whoever. Now, a dictator in any true dictatorhip derives his authority from his own actions...the admiration/fear of his people. This is not the case in our society (generally) Your teacher and principal aren't given authority because you let them, they're in authority because they were PUT THERE by a higher authority, i.e. the school board/superindendant...and even they are backed by your state's public education department and so on.
Dictatorship as you seem to see it is so prevalent because, as you said, its the most efficeient for of human control. And as we all know, nature always takes the path of least resistence. I don't agree with the statement power corrupts. I beleive that the corruption is inherent in human nature, and that it is only seen whaen one rises to have a much greater mass of influence. Therefore, since "corruption" is a natural human trait, we can no longer call it corruption, as we were never uncorrupted in the first place. That's just my opinion.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/24/02 6:30 p.m.
     Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/24/02 8:00 p.m.
           Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/25/02 4:30 a.m.
                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 6:53 a.m.
                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/25/02 10:43 p.m.
                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/26/02 12:33 a.m.
           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 6:19 a.m.
                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 7:04 a.m.
                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 10:24 a.m.
                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 12:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 2:22 p.m.
                                               Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 7:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: Political Structures in Marathon[Tycho?] 5/25/02 8:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 6:57 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonRincewind MoG 5/26/02 3:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 8:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 7:11 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/26/02 9:14 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 8:28 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/27/02 2:07 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/27/02 3:34 p.m.
                                                           Don't forget the doorsmidwinter 5/27/02 11:39 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Don't forget the doorsTru7h 5/27/02 3:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Don't forget the doorszudo 5/28/02 3:40 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Don't forget the doorsTru7h 5/28/02 2:15 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.