/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Political Structures in Marathon
Posted By: YossarianDate: 5/25/02 2:22 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Political Structures in Marathon (Tru7h)

: 1. he hasv to set his mind to counting, no matter how inteligent, he cant
: truly multi-task (being a computer built to mimic man)

I don't think you'd be able to find any game text to substantiate this. Besides, Durandal is a fully self-aware and rampant construct of technology thats centuries ahead of our own (not to mention fictional). It's a fact that no one knew Durandal better than Durandal, not even Strauss, as Durandal tells us that he hid his rampant growth from him. I think from what we've seen from Durandal he can multi-task better than any human, including Blake. Okay, I could your point makind sense if Durandal was more like HAL9000 or, say, a G3 iMac, but he isn't.

: 2. it means the Blake is obviously a greath leader (the best of all the bobs
: with D. Blake was from the start, the leader of the Durandal Bobs

: Anyway, Robert Blake and his men need your
: help clearing out the few Pfhor that
: managed to escape the flooding of their
: basement. Blake is the populist leader of
: the colonists, but your paths never crossed
: on Tau Ceti.
: (What about Bob?)

Former mechanical engineer on Tau Ceti is seems hardly the requirement for a "great leader". Further more, a populist, as the text refers to Blake, is one who merely stands for democratic principles. So in that context, Blake wasn't much a leader at all; if he was truly populist, then he would merely be coordinating the popular will of the BoB's.

This doesn't jive with the rest of the story. As quoted before, the BoB's were transported to the surface by Durandal, regardless of whether they popularly consented or not.

The way I see it, some funky stuff happened on the surface of Lh'owon, the mechanical engineer found himself leader (maybe because he was the oldest, best shot, higher ranking, who knows?) and basically said "Okay guys, let's do what we have to in order to save as many of our butts as possible and get the hell back to Earth."

As opposed to:

Durandal, short on processing power and general ability decides to appoint a great leader masquerading as a mechanical engineer to become Brigadier General of his scout ship and lead a brave assault on the Pfhor garrisons on Lh'owon.

: its an early level. OverAnal-izing can show us that Blake is commanding

There's no dispute that he's commanding, I just don't think he was appointed.

: 3. ya ok remember that

: I have been reviving these colonists and
: asking for volunteers on the following
: terms: assist us and control your own
: destiny, refuse and face indefinite return
: to the unreliable Pfhor stasis chambers.

: Few are refusing.
: (what about BOB?)

: sure nobody like Durandal, Would you like being controled by a computer, who
: is responsible for the destruction of a colony? but just because they dont
: mind him dead, dosent mean there happy, a some level they need Durandal,
: and Durandal need's the bobs, Remember what they say "war makes
: strange bedfellows"

You just said it yourself, controlled by a computer. Durandal was the only controlling force on Boomer. Now of course Durandal didn't have to worry about the mundane petty orders or tell the BoB's when to wipe their own arses, I just don't think he ever consulted any humans while en route to Lh'owon. I'm not going to debate the fact that Blake was the human leader on the surface, that's established. I'm arguing that while on Boomer he probably didn't hold any major command title or make any shipboard decisions, except possibly the latrine duty schdule.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/24/02 6:30 p.m.
     Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/24/02 8:00 p.m.
           Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/25/02 4:30 a.m.
                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 6:53 a.m.
                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/25/02 10:43 p.m.
                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/26/02 12:33 a.m.
           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 6:19 a.m.
                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 7:04 a.m.
                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 10:24 a.m.
                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 12:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 2:22 p.m.
                                               Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 7:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: Political Structures in Marathon[Tycho?] 5/25/02 8:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 6:57 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonRincewind MoG 5/26/02 3:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 8:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 7:11 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/26/02 9:14 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 8:28 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/27/02 2:07 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/27/02 3:34 p.m.
                                                           Don't forget the doorsmidwinter 5/27/02 11:39 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Don't forget the doorsTru7h 5/27/02 3:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Don't forget the doorszudo 5/28/02 3:40 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Don't forget the doorsTru7h 5/28/02 2:15 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.