/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Political Structures in Marathon
Posted By: YossarianDate: 5/25/02 11:02 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Political Structures in Marathon (Tru7h)

: Durandal is Boomer, but hes way to occupied to chose who.
: Durandal is way to
: occupied to take care off each detail

I can't recall any specific mention of the size or limitations of Durandals cognitive functioning, but I suppose that any entity that could count the molecules in a nebula and make predicitions for every one (as I beleive he said he could do) wouldn't have too much trouble running an alien scoutship or coordinating the efforts of a few thousand humans. And let's not forget:

"I'm certain that you are curious about what
happened to me after our ship fell to the
Pfhor. How after being deactivated,
downloaded into a containment unit and
still treated like the most dangerous
artificial construct in the universe I was
able to escape? And to assume control of
the ship on which I was imprisoned and to
turn it against its masters?"

Also, about Blake, I think he probably had less military and leadership training/skills than you may think. COnsider this:

"I'm Robert Blake. I used to be a
mechanical engineer on Tau Ceti, but now
I'm somehow in command of the remaining
human and S'pht survivors on this God-
forsaken rock."

The "somehow in command" would suggest that events had occured which were unexpected and he is now in charge. I don't think that upon leaving Boomer Blake had any part of deciding strategy or had any expectations of being in command. Also:

"I should tell you that many of us here see
Durandal's destruction as a good thing."

Hardly something you'd expect a second-in-command man to say about his "captain". Further:

"Frankly, nobody liked the way Durandal
carelessly threw us into battle, heedless
of the risk to our lives."

Unless Blake is trying to shift the blame, this snippet proves that Durandal was responsible for BoB placement on Lh'owon and that Blake was not only not involved in the process, but actually detested it.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/24/02 6:30 p.m.
     Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/24/02 8:00 p.m.
           Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/25/02 4:30 a.m.
                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 6:53 a.m.
                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/25/02 10:43 p.m.
                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonREB 5/26/02 12:33 a.m.
           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 6:19 a.m.
                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 7:04 a.m.
                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 10:24 a.m.
                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:02 a.m.
                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 12:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 2:22 p.m.
                                               Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/25/02 7:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: Political Structures in Marathon[Tycho?] 5/25/02 8:26 p.m.
                                                           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 6:57 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonRincewind MoG 5/26/02 3:48 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 8:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/25/02 11:12 p.m.
                                                           Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 7:11 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/26/02 9:14 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/26/02 8:28 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Political Structures in MarathonYossarian 5/27/02 2:07 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: Political Structures in MarathonTru7h 5/27/02 3:34 p.m.
                                                           Don't forget the doorsmidwinter 5/27/02 11:39 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Don't forget the doorsTru7h 5/27/02 3:35 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Don't forget the doorszudo 5/28/02 3:40 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Don't forget the doorsTru7h 5/28/02 2:15 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.