/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

An attempt at clarity.
Posted By: Claude ErreraDate: 5/20/02 9:58 a.m.

In Response To: Re: A proper venue? (Hamish Sinclair)

: Hang on a minute. Are you suggesting that the Marathon's Story page should
: have covered the Halo story? If you take your argument to its logical
: conclusion the Marathon's Story page should have covered Myth and Oni as
: well.

: You seem to forget that there was a staggered release of the Xbox. I like
: many othr people outside the US were unable to play Halo until quite
: recently.

Geez. I'm being misinterpreted all over the board. Please - read what I write, not what you think is between the lines.

This has nothing to do with what's covered on the MSP - it has to do with THIS COMMUNITY. The people on this forum. The people reading these posts, and replying to them.

I'm not in any way condemning the Story page for not going deep enough, or covering a game not in its purview. (I'm not condemning ANYONE, in fact.) I'm simply saying that the Bungie community (the Marathon community, if I need to be more specific - there ARE separate Myth and Oni communities) would have - in other times - been all over Jason's comment like lint on a nice suit. It's not as though the Halo story has been ignored, here on the forum - I'm not suggesting that folks discuss things that are completely out of their interest base. I'm saying that we (the community) USED to gobble up any scrap that came out of Redmond (Chicago) with the voraciousness of starving rats... but when Jason Jones stated in December that Starhammer was one of the more important works that influenced the Halo storyline, it was pretty much ignored by the community. Yes, Bachus did a quick net search, and found a reference that was intriguing - which you posted on the front page. That's it, though. Nobody else touched it. Nobody took it any farther.

It's not the job of the Story page maintainer to tell the community what to discuss. It's not my job, either. It's NOBODY'S job - it's just something that happens. I was simply observing that the community had changed, pretty radically, in the past couple of years - and my evidence for this was the way in which this book has been treated. That's all.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/13/02 12:18 p.m.
     Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/13/02 2:23 p.m.
           Re: A proper venue?archon 5/13/02 3:11 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Boomer 5/13/02 3:14 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/13/02 3:20 p.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?archon 5/13/02 9:05 p.m.
                             *Halo Spoiler* Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 2:53 p.m.
     Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/13/02 5:01 p.m.
           Re: A proper venue?mnemesis 5/14/02 1:10 p.m.
           Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 3:26 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Mark Levin 5/14/02 4:16 p.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 4:54 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/14/02 5:53 p.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?mnemesis 5/15/02 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/15/02 1:13 p.m.
                             Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/18/02 6:59 p.m.
                                   Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/19/02 3:21 a.m.
                                         Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/19/02 7:22 p.m.
                                               Re: A proper venue?Mark Levin 5/19/02 11:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: A proper venue?M-Class 5/20/02 3:08 p.m.
                                               Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/20/02 12:18 a.m.
                                                     An attempt at clarity.Claude Errera 5/20/02 9:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: An attempt at clarity.M-Class 5/20/02 3:15 p.m.
                                                           Re: An attempt at clarity.Miguel Chavez 5/21/02 12:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: An attempt at clarity.M-Class 5/21/02 2:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: An attempt at clarity.Nate of B.org 5/21/02 5:22 p.m.
                       Storyeva05 5/20/02 3:12 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.