/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: A proper venue?
Posted By: Claude ErreraDate: 5/19/02 7:22 p.m.

In Response To: Re: A proper venue? (Hamish Sinclair)

: No Jason only mentioned that Starhammers was "one of the best bits of
: space opera of all time". It was Bachus who noted the similiarities
: between Christopher Rowley's work and Halo. Granted he was quoting from an
: online blurb (wonders of the Internet). But he spotted the similiarities
: first. See What's New for Dec 19, 2001 for details.

Sorry - you misunderstood me.

I wasn't trying to take any credit from Bachus for noticing the similarities between Starhammer and Halo.

I was simply pointing out that in different times, the smallest mention of a literary work by Jason Jones as something that potentially had an influence on his storytelling would have been DEVOURED by the fans. The Starhammer reference came in response to this question:

" Where do you (and the team) draw your influences from?"
Other than Bachus' comment the following day, this was pretty much ignored by the Bungie community - and after reading the book, I couldn't understand why.

I STILL can't understand why.

Here's a guy who's been elevated to pretty much mythical status by this community, both as a programmer, and a storyteller, suggesting that one of his biggest influences with respect to the Halo story was a specific (though somewhat obscure) novel by a relatively unknown author... and this community - one built around a site DEVOTED TO THE PLOT DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS OF BUNGIE, to some degree - ignores him?

::shrug:: Sometimes, when reality doesn't live up to your expectations, it's easier to simply live with your DREAMS of who someone is, and what they can do...

Please - don't get me wrong. Halo is the most fun I've had playing video games - ever. That includes Marathon, I think. And I spent a LOT of hours playing Marathon. I'm simply suggesting that this community, when faced with a reality that might not include as grand a design as they'd wish, simply ignores evidence in front of them in favor of speculation about what might have been.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/13/02 12:18 p.m.
     Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/13/02 2:23 p.m.
           Re: A proper venue?archon 5/13/02 3:11 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Boomer 5/13/02 3:14 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/13/02 3:20 p.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?archon 5/13/02 9:05 p.m.
                             *Halo Spoiler* Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 2:53 p.m.
     Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/13/02 5:01 p.m.
           Re: A proper venue?mnemesis 5/14/02 1:10 p.m.
           Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 3:26 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Mark Levin 5/14/02 4:16 p.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 4:54 p.m.
                 Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/14/02 5:53 p.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?mnemesis 5/15/02 11:12 a.m.
                       Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/15/02 1:13 p.m.
                             Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/18/02 6:59 p.m.
                                   Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/19/02 3:21 a.m.
                                         Re: A proper venue?Claude Errera 5/19/02 7:22 p.m.
                                               Re: A proper venue?Mark Levin 5/19/02 11:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: A proper venue?M-Class 5/20/02 3:08 p.m.
                                               Re: A proper venue?Hamish Sinclair 5/20/02 12:18 a.m.
                                                     An attempt at clarity.Claude Errera 5/20/02 9:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: An attempt at clarity.M-Class 5/20/02 3:15 p.m.
                                                           Re: An attempt at clarity.Miguel Chavez 5/21/02 12:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: An attempt at clarity.M-Class 5/21/02 2:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: An attempt at clarity.Nate of B.org 5/21/02 5:22 p.m.
                       Storyeva05 5/20/02 3:12 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.