/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

*Halo Spoiler* Re: Nice.
Posted By: Rick BlaineDate: 5/17/02 3:11 p.m.

In Response To: Nice. (MakeMineRed)

[snip]

: Not so. A bear trap has an easily determined means of escape as well (just
: gnaw your leg off). But the idea of a test is consistent with the type of

A very good argument. I guess we need to add the notion of 'self-sacrifice' to the list of requirements needed to pass the test. Consider a race of beings who is smart enough to find a ring, & curious enough to release the flood. If they aren't capable of killing _themselves_ along with the flood, they fail the test.

It's only sheer dumb luck (?) that that last *operational* Longsword was left aboard the PoA.

And yes, to everyone still reading this thread out there, it is easy for us to imagine a species that can get to a ring, and that the only thing they would do is have a beachparty before moving on. Smart, and curious. And capable of self-sacrifice.

: story being told (space opera), and neatly answers the question I posed
: above by making it irrelevant. Unfortunately, there is one flaw with this
: argument, and that is 343 GS's familiarity with the MC and the human race.
: The Forerunners used the Halos once before. They presumably killed off

Agreed. 343 GS does state in an oblique fashon that the rings have been used before.

: humanity, if we were at a suitably sentient level. It is extremely

If we were at a suitably sentient level. When was the last time a Halo was triggered? 65 million years? 30 thousand years? I don't know.

: unlikely that humanity would have re-evolved. The same is true for any
: other firing of the Halos. However, 343 GS knows the MC and also has

343 GS claims to know the MC. Does he really? Or does he just 'know' him by his job description of "Reclaimer"? Trying to explain this snarl is what messed me up & flushed me down the whole 'multiverse' toilet. It's clear that 343 GS views the MC as a disposable tool from this when the MC balks at pulling the trigger:
http://halo.bungie.org/story/level_transcripts/lv08_2bet.html

[quote]
343 GUILTY SPARK:

If you are unwilling to help, I will simply find another. Still, I must have the index. Give your construct to me, or I will be forced to take her from you.

MASTER CHIEF:

That's not going to happen.

343 GUILTY SPARK:

So be it. Save his head. Dispose of the rest.

(343 Guilty Spark teleports away, and his Sentinels attack)
[close quote]

: knowledge of humanity's history, implying that humanity was around when

Let's examine what 343 GS said on "...And the Horse You Rode In On":

http://halo.bungie.org/story/level_transcripts/lv10_maw.html

[quote]
CORTANA:

He's in my data arrays, a local tap!

(Cut to 343 GS)

343 GUILTY SPARK:

You can't imagine how exciting this is! To have a record of all of our lost time! Human history, is it? Fascinating.
[close quote]

"Human history, is it?" That's a question, *not* a statement. And why is he so excited? Has he ever even imagined the story of human history before this moment?

: the Forerunners, or at least 343 GS, were still striding the galaxy. This
: further implies some special link between the Forerunners and the human
: race, which means that the test doesn't apply to us. The Halos could still

If the Forerunner created this whole elaborate scheme to turn the galaxy into an incubator, then in a way all human history does belong to them, because they indirectly created us. The time was 'lost' because the Forerunner were someplace else, not watching us. Of course, they all could be dead & nobody told 343 GS. Circular reasoning? Sure it is. Can somebody out there find another interpertation that fits the observed facts?

: very well be an intelligence test, but maybe humanity's role is that of a
: spoiler - we just disrupted one part of their test, leaving this part of
: the galaxy to evolve without undue influence by the Forerunners.

A very unique & interesting idea.

: MakeMineRed

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

*Halo Spoiler* The trap.Rick Blaine 5/14/02 5:59 p.m.
     Re: *Halo Spoiler* The trap.Claude Errera 5/14/02 6:39 p.m.
     Re: *Halo Spoiler* The trap.archon 5/14/02 11:14 p.m.
           Re: *Halo Spoiler* The trap.archon 5/14/02 11:20 p.m.
                 Re: *Halo Spoiler* The trap.Dan Johnson 5/15/02 10:01 p.m.
     not intelligent life...Napalm Boy 5/17/02 11:52 a.m.
           Re: not intelligent life...archon 5/17/02 12:32 p.m.
           *Halo Spoiler* Re: not intelligent life...Rick Blaine 5/17/02 1:04 p.m.
                 *Halo Spoiler* Re: not intelligent life...Napalm Boy 5/17/02 2:41 p.m.
                       Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: not intelligent life...PfhorSlayer 5/24/02 8:17 p.m.
                             Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: not intelligent life...Mark Levin 5/24/02 9:41 p.m.
                                   Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: not intelligent life...John Denton 5/25/02 5:57 p.m.
                             a terrifying possibiltyJohn Denton 5/25/02 12:18 a.m.
                                   Re: a terrifying possibiltyTru7h 5/25/02 6:06 a.m.
                                         Re: a terrifying possibiltyzudo 5/25/02 7:39 a.m.
                                               Re: a terrifying possibiltyTru7h 5/25/02 10:07 a.m.
                                                     Re: a terrifying possibiltyBoomer 5/25/02 10:47 a.m.
                                                           You must read the Dirk Gently books.John Denton 5/25/02 5:55 p.m.
                                                     Physics >> BiologyCow Mutilator 5/26/02 11:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Physics >> BiologyTru7h 5/26/02 8:05 p.m.
                                                                 Watch outJohn Denton 5/27/02 8:06 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Watch outTynskel 5/31/02 4:59 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Watch outTru7h 6/1/02 5:43 a.m.
                                                           Re: Physics >> BiologyJohn Denton 5/27/02 7:57 p.m.
                                                                 but we know how to do those calculationsTru7h 5/28/02 2:13 p.m.
                                         well...John Denton 5/25/02 5:50 p.m.
                                               Re: well...Tru7h 5/25/02 7:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: well...Boomer 5/25/02 8:34 p.m.
                                                           They are pretty zombieesque. *NM*John Denton 5/25/02 10:03 p.m.
                                                           Re: well...Tru7h 5/26/02 6:44 a.m.
                                                                 Re: well...Boomer 5/26/02 7:25 a.m.
                                                                       You Mean Armor *NM*REB 5/26/02 8:07 a.m.
                                                                 Re: well...Elite Spartan II 5/26/02 8:57 a.m.
                                                                       Re: well...Djof 5/26/02 4:55 p.m.
                                                                             Re: well...Elite Spartan II 5/26/02 5:44 p.m.
                                                                       they cant if ther Dead!!! *NM*Tru7h 5/26/02 8:06 p.m.
                                                           Re: well...Elite Spartan II 5/26/02 8:46 a.m.
                                                                 Re: well...Tru7h 5/26/02 8:08 p.m.
                                                                       Re: well...Tynskel 5/31/02 5:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: well...Tynskel 5/31/02 5:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: well...Tru7h 6/1/02 5:45 a.m.
                 Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: not intelligent life...Hydroconcil87 6/28/02 1:49 a.m.
                       Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: not intelligent life...Hydroconcil87 6/28/02 2:11 a.m.
     Nice.MakeMineRed 5/17/02 1:40 p.m.
           *Halo Spoiler* Re: Nice.Rick Blaine 5/17/02 3:11 p.m.
                 Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: Nice.archon 5/17/02 6:01 p.m.
                 Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: Nice.PesTiLenCe 5/21/02 1:46 p.m.
                       Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: Nice.archon 5/21/02 6:47 p.m.
                             Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: Nice.archon 5/21/02 6:50 p.m.
                 Re: *Halo Spoiler* Re: Nice.•M 5/26/02 5:30 a.m.
     Re: *Halo Spoiler* The trap.John Denton 5/23/02 4:57 p.m.
           Um, Correct Me If I'm Wrong...ATMantis 5/26/02 6:40 a.m.
                 Re: Um, Correct Me If I'm Wrong...ATMantis 5/27/02 7:51 p.m.
                       Re: Um, Correct Me If I'm Wrong...John Denton 5/27/02 8:25 p.m.
                             Re: Um, Correct Me If I'm Wrong...ATMantis 6/1/02 1:03 a.m.
                 Re: Um, Correct Me If I'm Wrong...John Denton 5/27/02 8:19 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.