/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: yeah, but...
Posted By: YossarianDate: 5/15/02 1:58 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Plot lines? whaddya think? (Steve Levinson)

: MI is another story, however. It's very schizophrenic and was
: difficult for even the Marathon die-hards to understand until Mark
: explained it to us ;-) . MI could never make it as a movie in anything
: close to it's present form.

Well, at least not structured like it is in the game, this goes without saying. But I would argue that it would be plausible as the third film if the different branches were presented in a linear form. The p.o.v. would never switch between timelines as this would be far too confusing (although in early film, critics did not believe audiences would be able to follow a story if the camera cut back and forth between two events happening at the same time...something we take for granted today). We would see the marine fail and try and try and fail until he's successful. An extended montage could do this quite nicely, especially since we never know the exact number of times the marine must try before he gets it right.

: Third parties? Some are very good, but I don't think that the audience is
: prepared to deal with multiple realities and different mutually exclusive
: outcomes.

Sure, but I think it would be great if we could transplant the themes and style of these third party scenarios into their respective film. M:Evil would have to focus almost on its sheer suspense and alientation factor so the story could take a backseat (though it would still require major reworking, it's a little crude). While M:Rubicon could focus on very personal things such as loss, lonliness, insanity, as well as certain ethical/moral/social questions. M:Red could deal with, well, whatever it happens to deal with as I never finished that one. Anyways, the idea I'm trying to get across is that we'd be able to cover the whole spectrum of cinematic style using the impressions of these films.

: We'd have enough difficulty getting people interested in M1 to
: begin with! Let's face it - been there, done that (eg. Battlestar
: Galactica).

Please stop trying to destroy my grand visions for this impossible non-movie. I'm on a roll here.

: If the Marathon trilogy were to be made into a movie
: trilogy, however, I would suggest that the sequence be M1, M2, M Rubicon
: (Pfhor plank). No doubt, the Pfhor plank of Rubicon makes a much tidier
: end to the saga than MI! As far as $$$ at the box office is concerned - I
: don't think so.

Sure, we'd have some closure with the sacking of the Pfhor system, but is that really what we'd want? I think the thing that's kept this game alive for so long is that it never really ended. I mean, that is why it's called Marathon INFINITY, right? I say never end the saga, keep 'em guessing, make 'em have to go over the infinite possibilities and consider those deep philosophical questions this community has been basking in for so long.

: The only really successful Sci-Fi flicks have had great
: cross-over potential. Star Wars became a true phenominon because it's
: story is timeless - it successfully married technology with an adventure
: plot that could have been set at any point in history.

But hasn't Marathon done the same? Consider the theory of the marine being the timeless, reincarnated soldier. What about "I have been Roland, Beowulf..etc." and all those other terminals that hint at previous experiences through history? The marine is, after all, Destiny. Not only this, but Marathon continues through the very close of the universe! I know that's not what you meant by timeless, but I think that's pretty close. And you mention the "successful marriage of technology..." and I think Marathon does that also. Remember how the marine was fitted with technology his creators didn't understand? It's this very marriage that's so symbolic: the grafting of chips and wires into human flesh, into the human mind and human soul. (Rubicon was big on this).

: The "long time
: ago in a galaxy far, far away" adds an element of mystery to the
: plot, but the plot is one than anyone can identify with. Not so of
: Marathon IMHO.

Yeah, I agree. The story in Star Wars doesn't really require an active audience; the story unfolds before you. Marathon requires deeper inspection, it is the requirement of careful examination that has kept this community busy for almost eight years, and it is that also that would keep the really interested fans going back to the theaters again and again just like it brings us back to the Story page and this forum. It seems that humans aren't satisfied without finality and without an answer; Marathon has a way of teasing and promising an end but never actually delivers.

Yossarian.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Movie (Not!):: Beer Can :: 4/12/02 3:18 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Daši Sveinsson 4/12/02 11:20 a.m.
           Re: Marathon Movie (Not!):: Beer Can :: 4/12/02 11:24 a.m.
     Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Ares 4/12/02 1:11 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)VoodooLabRat 4/12/02 2:44 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Tru7h 4/12/02 5:50 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Pedrof 4/12/02 6:19 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon Movie (Not!):: Beer Can :: 4/12/02 7:56 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)REB 4/12/02 10:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Mannon 4/13/02 6:55 a.m.
                                         Good idea! (was "Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)")Brian Dubick 4/14/02 6:05 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)[Tycho?] 4/13/02 8:22 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Steve Levinson 4/13/02 7:23 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)VoodooLabRat 4/13/02 10:35 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Toalmaster 5/30/02 7:30 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Tru7h 5/31/02 2:51 p.m.
                 speaking of fallout...Vid Boi 4/12/02 6:38 p.m.
                       Re: speaking of fallout...Tru7h 4/12/02 7:18 p.m.
                             Mmm Marathon movieVoodooLabRat 4/12/02 8:04 p.m.
                                   Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 4/12/02 10:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/14/02 11:09 p.m.
                                               Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/15/02 11:11 a.m.
                                                     Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/15/02 11:21 a.m.
                                                           Re: Mmm Marathon movieM-Class 5/15/02 3:05 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/17/02 2:30 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Mmm Marathon movieM-Class 5/17/02 6:31 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/17/02 7:14 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/17/02 11:12 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/18/02 12:01 a.m.
                                                           Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/15/02 4:13 p.m.
                                                     Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/15/02 4:05 p.m.
                                                           Re: Mmm, bass....Yossarian 5/15/02 4:11 p.m.
                                                           Re: Mmm Marathon movieTru7h 5/15/02 4:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/17/02 3:21 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Mmm Marathon movieYossarian 5/17/02 4:09 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/17/02 7:29 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/17/02 11:21 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/18/02 12:12 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/17/02 11:56 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/18/02 12:11 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/18/02 12:24 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/18/02 2:10 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/18/02 2:28 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/18/02 7:35 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/19/02 1:58 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/18/02 7:19 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/18/02 10:23 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/19/02 2:02 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/19/02 1:53 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/18/02 9:12 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Mmm Marathon movieMark Levin 5/18/02 10:29 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/19/02 2:12 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Mmm Marathon movieRick Blaine 5/20/02 5:13 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Mmm Marathon movieCount Zero 5/20/02 6:44 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/20/02 6:51 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Mmm Marathon movie:: Beer Can :: 5/19/02 2:00 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Mmm Marathon movieTru7h 5/18/02 5:19 a.m.
                             Re: speaking of fallout...Vid Boi 4/12/02 8:23 p.m.
                                   Re: speaking of fallout...VoodooLabRat 4/12/02 8:50 p.m.
                                         Re: speaking of fallout...Daši Sveinsson 4/12/02 10:48 p.m.
                                   Re: speaking of fallout...Tru7h 4/13/02 6:35 a.m.
                                         Re: speaking of fallout...Ernie 4/13/02 8:09 a.m.
                                               Re: speaking of fallout...Tru7h 4/13/02 10:30 a.m.
     Plot lines? whaddya think?Shotgun Pete 5/14/02 12:08 a.m.
           Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Mark Levin 5/14/02 2:23 a.m.
                 Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Jonah 5/14/02 7:33 a.m.
                       Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Boomer 5/14/02 9:04 a.m.
                             Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Will 5/16/02 7:04 p.m.
                       Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Pedrof 5/14/02 9:31 a.m.
                             Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Mark Levin 5/14/02 11:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Yossarian 5/14/02 1:57 p.m.
                                         Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Steve Levinson 5/15/02 11:59 a.m.
                                               Re: yeah, but...Yossarian 5/15/02 1:58 p.m.
                                                     Re: yeah, but...Boomer 5/15/02 2:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: about the intricate plot.Shotgun Pete 5/15/02 3:30 p.m.
                             Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Jonah 5/14/02 2:29 p.m.
                                   Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Shotgun Pete 5/15/02 3:34 p.m.
                             Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 11:33 p.m.
                                   Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Mark Levin 5/15/02 1:23 a.m.
                                         Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Rick Blaine 5/15/02 11:02 a.m.
                                               Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Mark Levin 5/15/02 11:23 a.m.
                                                     Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Rick Blaine 5/15/02 5:01 p.m.
                                                           Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Mark Levin 5/16/02 2:21 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Rick Blaine 5/16/02 10:48 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Tru7h 5/16/02 3:03 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Lunair 5/16/02 5:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Shotgun Pete 5/21/02 2:35 p.m.
                                               Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Shotgun Pete 5/21/02 2:32 p.m.
                 Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Rick Blaine 5/14/02 10:06 p.m.
           Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Rick Blaine 5/16/02 5:11 p.m.
                 Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Shotgun Pete 5/20/02 8:37 a.m.
                 Re: Plot lines? whaddya think?Shotgun Pete 5/21/02 2:45 p.m.
           Re: movie plotJohn Denton 5/23/02 4:49 p.m.
                 Re: movie plotShotgun Pete 5/23/02 10:04 p.m.
                       Re: movie plotJohn Denton 5/23/02 11:06 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Movie (Not!)Mike 6/14/02 12:44 p.m.
           I Hope You're Aware Of What You Have Done...REB 6/14/02 4:30 p.m.
                 Re: I Hope You're Aware Of What You Have Done...Vid Boi 6/14/02 5:16 p.m.
                       Re: I Hope You're Aware Of What You Have Done...Boomer 6/14/02 7:07 p.m.
                             Doorindel. Durondohl. Dirandul. *NM*Agent Cletus 6/15/02 7:10 a.m.
                                   Re: Doorindel. Durondohl. Dirandul.Djof 6/15/02 11:11 a.m.
                             TRU7TH and Reconciliation! *NM*Andrew Nagy 6/16/02 3:45 p.m.
                             Re: I Hope You're Aware Of What You Have Done...Jonah 6/17/02 2:52 a.m.
                                   Re: I Hope You're Aware Of What You Have Done...Boomer 6/17/02 7:07 a.m.
                                         Re: I Hope You're Aware Of What You Have Done...Boomer 6/17/02 11:35 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.