/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Oh Goodness...
Posted By: Dan JohnsonDate: 5/14/02 11:07 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Oh Goodness... (Sam)

: I would hope you will not suggest that everyone else perceives exactly the
: same things as good and evil that you do?

Not everyone reads the Story page, eats sushi, nor farts (I'm stretching on that last one). However, we all do our own stuff, because we believe it is a good thing to do. For example:

: and while an animal's death is Bad
: to it, it is Good to the thing that kills it and gets a meal.

In the above example, the killer getting the meal did the good thing for itself. The dead animal loses out, but the dead animal didn't kill itself. The dead animal didn't choose the act of killing nor of dying. It's quite likely that the dead animal either defended itself or fled to the best of its ability prior to its death, because the dead animal (again, likely) thought that staying alive was a good thing.

So, the connection that I draw IMHO is that we all share some common idea of what good *itself* is. This makes it a universally shared idea. I don't see that we all find (nor should find) universal manifestations of this shared idea (everybody liking tutti-frutti-artichoke pudding), as the animal example illustrates (one gets the good stuff, the other, well, you know). Yet, the idea of good *itself* seems to be something that we share amongst ourselves, possibly even universally. It's a bummer that I can't prove it, but it certainly seems that way to me.

: the planets don't revolve around the
: Sun because it is good that they do so,

I certainly don't know why the planets do what they do with gravity and inertia, let alone how and why mass, gravity and inertia came into existence. However, I am very happy that the planets revolve around the sun, because that action facilitates a great many things that I find to be pleasing, or beautiful, or, even, good. Thus (in my estimation w/ regard to myself), it is indeed a good thing that the planets revolve around the sun. We wouldn't have a Story page w/o it, right?

: Of course you have your own view of Good and Bad - but that's all they are...
: your own view.
: (and I am a post-nilhilist thank you for asking :) )

Yes. I agree. But my view of Good and Bad seems to imply and include everyone and everything. If I have missed something fundamental, then lemme know, because I need all the help I can get...

Plus, I kinda like the idea of a Universal Good. It makes me a happier fellow.

(I'm not up on the nihilhists and their followers like I should be... too much time reading the Story page. :^))

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/9/02 3:38 p.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmarchon 5/9/02 6:39 p.m.
           So what? is right. Marathon is just a game. *NM*Rick Blaine 5/9/02 9:30 p.m.
                 No it's a race...archon 5/9/02 10:41 p.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmJacke 5/10/02 1:46 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 9:10 a.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmPaolo 5/10/02 3:20 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:36 a.m.
                 Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmTru7h 5/10/02 11:40 a.m.
                       Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:56 a.m.
                             Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmMark Levin 5/10/02 12:08 p.m.
                                   Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmB-Sharp 5/10/02 5:41 p.m.
                                         Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmMark Levin 5/10/02 9:31 p.m.
                                               Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/11/02 11:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/11/02 2:34 p.m.
                                                     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmMark Levin 5/11/02 5:17 p.m.
                                                           Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/12/02 3:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigm•M 5/12/02 9:10 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/16/02 6:35 p.m.
                 Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmpaolo 5/11/02 3:40 a.m.
                       Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/11/02 12:01 p.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmDan Aris 5/10/02 6:29 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmJonah 5/10/02 8:35 a.m.
                 Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:52 a.m.
                 Oh Goodness...Dan Johnson 5/11/02 10:53 p.m.
                       Re: Oh Goodness...Sam 5/14/02 10:44 a.m.
                             Re: Oh Goodness...Dan Johnson 5/14/02 11:07 p.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:49 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/11/02 11:54 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmNeutronBomb 5/15/02 3:16 a.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmJoeDaMac 5/12/02 9:18 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/14/02 9:46 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.