/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]
Posted By: Rick BlaineDate: 5/11/02 1:01 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?] (Hamish Sinclair)

[snip]

: I believe the lost colonies idea was an attempt to explain (in Halo) the rise
: and fall of an earlier human civilisation. Call it waves. Mankind ventures
: into space, establishes colonies and eventually meets/finds something that
: wipes most of humanity out. A few isolated colonies survive but are
: cut-off. These are rediscovered by the next wave of mankind. Note the line
: in the Cortana letter: "Unexpected contact with indigenous human
: populations on four "lost colony" worlds led to a frenzy of
: research as archaeologists, theologians, astronomers, and evolutionary
: biologists competed to offer an explanation for the startling
: discovery."

Your interpertation is much 'neater' than mine, in the sense that it requires fewer assumptions, and it leaves fewer loose ends. If 'beauty = truth', then your interpertation is more true than mine. There are rules to this game, after all ;).

The reason I brought this whole thing up in the first place was to try and show the power of the construct (tool) that I call the Multiverse. If we try to explain the Lost Colonies using only information contained in Halo, FoR, & the Cortana Letters, plus stuff we 'know' (subject to the 'reasonableness' test) about how the 'real world' (Planet Earth in the year 2002) works, we can only get so far. If we make one 'wild-hair' assumption, namely that all the games are linked, we open up a whole new source of facts bearing the official Bungie Seal of Approval. We can take our interpertation several steps further along.

I needed more facts to explain some seemingly confusing points in Halo. The more I think about things, though, the less I believe we need to link the universes in order to arrive at 'The Tru7h'. I can resolve my confusion using just hard facts from Halo, FoR & the Cortana letters, plus some reasonable assumptions to kink the facts into a reasonably coherent whole. But that's another post....

: The theme has been used before in sci-fi before.

"There is nothing new under the sun." (I don't remember who said this, Oscar Wilde might be a good guess)

: Cheers
: Hamish

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The lost human colonies in halo.Rick Blaine 5/8/02 3:38 p.m.
     Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Jacke 5/8/02 5:25 p.m.
           Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Rick Blaine 5/8/02 6:03 p.m.
                 Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Tru7h 5/8/02 7:48 p.m.
                       Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Hamish Sinclair 5/9/02 12:19 a.m.
                             Re: The lost human colonies in halo.archon 5/9/02 1:23 a.m.
                                   Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Rick Blaine 5/9/02 10:14 a.m.
                                         Re: The lost human colonies in halo.zudo 5/9/02 12:08 p.m.
                                               Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Tru7h 5/9/02 3:14 p.m.
                                                     Re: The lost human colonies in halo.[Tycho?] 5/9/02 5:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: The lost human colonies in halo.zudo 5/10/02 9:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]Ernie 5/10/02 3:15 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]Hamish Sinclair 5/11/02 10:01 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]Rick Blaine 5/11/02 1:01 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.